Operations and Programme Associate
UNDP in Cyprus works to support the ongoing peace and confidence building process by promoting initiatives that encourage dialogue and cooperation between the communities of Cyprus. UNDP works in support of different bi-communal Technical Committees in the implementation of their confidence building measures. Our main partners are: The Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage (TCCH), the Committee on Missing Persons in Cyprus (CMP) and the Technical Committee on Crossings (TCC). Through cultural heritage conservation projects, community engagement initiatives and large infrastructure and urban upgrading projects we aim to support both political peace-making and practical confidence building processes. More recently UNDP will establish a new mechanism, namely the “Local Infrastructure Facility” (LIF) to coordinate and support the implementation of EU funded infrastructure projects in the northern part of Cyprus.
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the Operations and Programme Associate provides operations and programme support services ensuring high quality of work, ensures accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery.
The Operations and Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations and Programme staff in the office and UNDP HQ as required to exchange information and support programme delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provides support to contracting services
- Provide travel management processes
- Provide effective support to operations and programme units
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides support to contracting services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support in individual contracting processes including drafting job description, vacancy announcement (UNDP Jobs and Newspaper), screening of candidates, participation in selection panels
- Support in preparation of selection reports of Individual Contractors.
- Preparation of contracts, amendments and filing required documentation.
- Obtaining required documentation from Individual Contractors prior to payment of fees/deliverables and preparation of receipts in Atlas.
- Monitoring of contract due dates/expiry dates/performance evaluations.
- Support in drafting terms of references.
- Preparation of contracts, amendment and filing required documentation.
- Monitoring of contract due dates/expiry dates/performance evaluations.
- Support in preparation of capacity assessment surveys for required vendors.
Maintenance of the contract lists at intranet system.
Provides travel management processes for office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Act as Travel Focal Point of the office.
- Processing of travel related transactions in Atlas.
- Follow-up with contracted travel agent to ensure provision of high-quality professional service and most competitive price.
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including entitlements, travel route and hotel arrangement.
- Arrangements for security clearance when required.
- Processing travel authorization and travel claims in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices.
- Hotel reservations for visiting UN/UNDP officials.
- Processing requests for visas for all UN travelers, as well as requests for Resident Permit and Diplomatic Identification Card for international staff.
- Arrangement for airport pick-up of high-level officials and support to expediting of customs and immigration procedures, as necessary.
- Processing of application and renewal of UNLP for UN staff.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, memoranda and reports in accordance with office SOP required to manage the travel processes and interactions with the travel agent.
- Reconciliation of settlements to be paid by the Finance Unit.
- Support in collection and analysis of market situation on travel service area. Support conducting surveys/biddings of travel services.
- Providing inputs for the preparation of LTAs for travel and hotel services.
Provides effective support to operations and programme units focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support in creation of a projects in Atlas, preparation of required budgets, budget revisions, updating project status, and filing project documentation.
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects and finalization of the requisition stage, i.e budget checks, taking corrective actions if needed.
- Register of receipts of goods/services/works in Atlas by review of documentation of receipts of goods/services/works.
- Assist in setting up inventory and asset management procedures in the office.
- Receiving, inspecting and verification of all incoming equipment, furniture and supplies and scheduling deliveries to users.
- Assist in the physical inventory verification exercise to ensure accuracy of records and location of property which includes tagging the furniture/equipment.
- Interaction with vendors and counterparts to obtain or provide information and documentation required by the operations and programme units.
- Support to local shopping processes.
- Preparation of routine correspondence and reports requested by the management and required by corporate policies and procedures including annual certifications.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations / projects staff on programme.
- Organization of trainings for the operations / projects staff on travel and HR issues.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done
Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Good knowledge of relevant rules and regulations
- In-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Administration, Business Administration, Social Sciences or any other related field is required.
Secondary education with 6 years of progressively responsible administrative/operational and programme experience is required at the national and/or international level.
Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of progressively responsible administrative/operational and programme experience is required at the national and/or international level.
Proficiency in IT software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is required.
Strong understanding/familiarity with UNDP administrative, programme and operational procedures is an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
Fluency in Greek or Turkish is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.