Intern - Elimination of Violence Against Women (EVAW) Programme
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Senegal Program would like to give an opportunity to a social science, political studies, development studies, politics, gender/women studies or other similar subject at the university level Student or recent graduate to have a learning experience within its End Violence Against Women (EVAW) program. The internship will initially be issued for a period of three months and subject to performance may be extended for a further three months. The purpose of the internships is to give students the opportunity to have a first-hand experience for them to build their capacity as part of their studies and to also contribute to the work of UN Women.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the EVAW National Program Officer, the EVAW intern will have the opportunity to learn how to provide support that ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. She or He will also have an opportunity to work in close collaboration with the staff in the CO to learn, exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the EVAW NPO, the intern shall perform, inter alia, the following tasks:
- Support the office in implementation of project activities related to EVAW, (e.g. preparation of trainings, workshops or advocacy actions; drafting letters and other documents)
- Support the UN Women Office in awareness raising on gender equality and violence against women, and in organizing and events/activities related to International Women’s Days (March 8) and 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence (November 25 – December 10) especially in the field of online communication via social media
- Support UN Women office in drafting web articles on project activities, concept notes, meeting minutes or any other related document
- Assist UN Women staff in various admin tasks as required
Learning objectives :
- Increase understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of issues related to gender and EWAV
- Build and develop professional relationships with UN Women colleagues and colleagues from other UN agencies.
- Develop project management and evaluation skills.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Technical/Functional Competencies :
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Strong analytical aptitude
- Good organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and proven ability to work independently and effectively
Required Skills and Experience
The intern should be pursuing academic studies in social science, political studies, development studies, politics, gender/women studies or other similar subject at post graduate level.
- Be enrolled in a post graduate school programme (second university degree, or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and French are required.
- Strong computer skills, Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Previous experience with an UN agency will be an asset
- UN Women will not pay for the internship; all the expenses connected with it will be borne by the intern;
- UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The Intern must provide proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan;
- The Intern will not be eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN Women during the period of my internship or for the six months immediately following the expiration date thereof;
- The Intern will be personally responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed.
Once the candidate has been selected, the following additional documents need to be submitted:
- For an international intern: Scanned visa document/scanned passport document if no visa is required;
- Scanned medical insurance document.