National Consultant to support the preparation of Mid-Term Review of UN Women Albania CO Strategic Note 2017-2021
UN Women Albania’s Strategic Note (SN) 2017 -2021 is a forward-looking document that underscores the integrated nature of the Country Office (CO) programme within the UN Programme of Cooperation for Sustainable Development (PoCSD) 2017-2021.
The CO SN is a forward-looking programmatic document that clearly embeds UN Women’s role in the context of supporting the National Strategy for Development and Integration (NSDI), the National Strategy for Gender Equality (NSGE) 2016-2020, the context of EU integration and supporting the implementation of the 2030 Development Agenda and the SDGs. As such it underscores the importance of key partnerships with government and supporting its drive towards normative standards.
Similarly, it places the opportunity afforded by partnerships across the spectrum from Civil Society and UN Partners to development agencies and donors as well as private sector noting the value of partnerships for not merely normative standards, proving models through implementation, coordination, advocacy and resource mobilization, but critically also for political support.
The SN outlines the overall strategy and plan of action for the CO for the years 2017-2021 and includes a Development Results Framework (DRF) focused on programmatic plans, an Organizational Effectiveness and Efficiency Framework (OEEF) focused on coordination mandate and operations, each with expected results and targets/ indicators/ baselines.
Under UN-Women’s policies and procedures in relation to programme management, a mid-term review (MTR) is mandatory for Strategic Note of at least three years duration.
The objectives of the UN-Women Albania MTR are as follows:
- Analysis and reflection on the progress of the programme and the validity of UN-Women’s strategy in Albania.
- A re-examination of the offices theories of change for each of the relevant impact areas (WLPP, EVAW, WEE, Governance, National Planning and Budgeting).
- Engagement with partners and beneficiaries in consideration of #1.
- Recognition and response to changes in the programming context, particularly noting normative developments.
The following is the overall timeline of MTR process in UN Women Albania CO in 2019.
Finalization of ToR and agenda
Recruitment of national consultant for the MTR
Survey of partners
Development of Position Papers and Agenda for the MTR meeting
16 - 17 May
Finalization and sharing of MTR report
Prior to the MTR meeting in May, some preparatory work need to be completed. This includes preparation of discussion papers and conducting a survey of key partners and stakeholders.
UN Women Albania CO seeks a consultant to undertake key elements of the preparatory work for SN MTR in May 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Office of UN Women Albania CO, the consultant will be responsible for following tasks to assist the preparation of the MTR:
Desk review of key documents, including:
- Guidance Note: Mid Term Reviews of Strategic Notes
- UN Women Albania Strategic Note (2017-2021)
- UN Women Albania Annual Reports (2017, 2018) and project annual reports
- Albania PoCSD 2017-2021
- Prodocs of exisiting and pipeline projects and programmes
- UN Women Global Strategic Plan SP (2018-2020)
- ECA Regional Strategic Note 2019-2021
- ECA Regional Advocacy Paper “Building more inclusive, sustainable and prosperous societies in Europe and Central Asia” (2017)
- Quality Assessment of UN Women Strategic Notes and Annual Reports (2017 and 2018)
- UNDAF annual reports
- UN Development System reform - Repositioning of the UN system Document
Prepare a short questionnaire based on the sample questions in the Annex of the UN Women MTR guidance, and conduct a survey of key UNW CO partners, analyzing and synthesizing results for feedback.
Develop a short and focused Positioning Paper outlining relevance and programme balance. Review and make recommendations on position papers to be prepared together with the CO team on Programme, Partnerships, Normative Issues, Coordination Issues, Operations and Communication.
Capture the main findings and issues identified for all papers in a powerpoint presentation and brief the CO team.
Conduct specific sessions within the Mid Term Review workshop, and participate fully in discussions.
Expected Key Deliverables by the Consultant and its timeline:
Questionnaire drafted and finalized, and the questionnaire being distributed to key partners
By 10 March
Responses from key partners being collected and consolidated
By 31 March
Summary of key findings and recommendations generated from the analysis of questionnaire responses being drafted and finalized in Word Document
By 15 April
2-3 page positioning paper in Word prepared and finalized by answering the following questions (as specified in the MTR guidance):
By 30 April
One-page position papers on Programme, Partnerships, Normative Issues, Coordination Issues, Operations and Communication.
By 7 May
Conduct key sessions with MTR workshop and contribute to discussions.
16 – 17 May
Prepare and finalise SN MTR report including summarising findings from the MTR workshop discussions.
Duration and remuneration:
UN Women will fund the costs of the consultancy work and maintain overall oversight and monitoring of the consultancy work. The duration of the consultancy will be from 1 March – 31 May 2019 with an estimated 20 working days.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Strong interpersonal and good communication abilities
- Excellent writing skills both in Albanian and in English
- Proven ability to work within limited time constraints in the preparation of high quality documents;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deal with multiple tasks;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or advanced university degree in social science, gender/women’s studies, programme management, or other related fields
- At least 10 years of professional work experience in programme development and implementation, including monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Experience working on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues in Albania.
- Proven experience in guiding and documenting programme reviews and evaluations
- Proven knowledge of programme monitoring and evaluation theory, including theories of change, methodology, technology and tools;
- Experience working programming, monitoring and evaluation with the UN agencies, similar international organizations, NGOs, multi/bilateral and/or government institutions would be an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Albanian is mandatory.
Evaluation of Applicants:
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal. The evaluation of technical criteria will include interviews with the candidates, to confirm their experience in the areas of gender equality, women’s empowerment and ending violence against women. Contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive to and compliant with the ToR; and
- Having received the highest score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Evaluation (70%) – Maximum Obtainable Points 70
Education - Master’s degree or advanced university degree in social science, gender/women’s studies, programme management, or other related fields: 10 points
Experience in programme development and implementation, including monitoring and evaluation activities: 15 points
Experience working on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues in Albania.: 15 points
Proven experience in guiding and documenting programme reviews and evaluations (knowledge of programme monitoring and evaluation theory, including theories of change, methodology, technology and tools): 20 points
Experience working programming, monitoring and evaluation with the UN agencies, similar international organizations, NGOs, multi/bilateral and/or government institutions would be an advantage. 10 points
Financial Evaluation (30%) – Maximum Obtainable Points 30
TOTAL - 100 points
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation will be considered for the Financial Evaluation
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion. A suggested formula is as follows:
p = 30 (µ/z)
p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
z = price of the proposal being evaluated
The interested applicants must submit online:
- UN Women Personal History Form (P-11) including past experience in similar assignment relevant description of positions held and responsibilities. P-11 form to be downloaded at: UN Women Personal History Form (P11) or http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment
- Expression of Interest for providing the expertise defined by present call in a short information paper describing previous consultancies/expertise delivered, similar with the tasks and responsibilities given herein, preferably including a link to published programme reviews and evaluations;
- Financial Proposal* - specifying a total lump sum in Albanian Leke amount for the tasks specified in this announcement. The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (number of anticipated working days, and any other possible costs).
*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services...).
Payments will be made only upon evaluation of the satisfactory performance from UN Women Head of Office on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner.
- The consultancy post is open to local (Albanian) individuals or foreign individuals with valid temporary or permanent residence.
- Applications without the financial offer will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- The individual should submit a Statement of Good Health certifying that he/she is in good health. In addition, the individual should take the mandatory learning security course prior to commencement of assignment.