Mobile Applications Developer - SC6
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. They have responsibility for undertaking specialised business support work, such as organisation and coordination of work. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources, and coach and/or coordinate a team of support staff.
To coordinate and control a full range of business support services for a specific professional area of work, to ensure that services are delivered effectively.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Discuss the client’s requirements and the proposed solution with colleagues.
- Produce fully functional mobile applications writing clean code.
- Write unit and User Interface (UI) tests to identify malfunctions.
- Troubleshoot and debug to optimize performance.
- Design interfaces to improve user experience.
- Develop application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality.
- Keep up to date with the terminology, concepts and best practices for coding mobile apps.
- Use and adapt existing mobile applications.
- Share application development best practices with the Business Analysis team.
- Working closely with colleagues to constantly innovate application functionality and design.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Secondary school education. A University Degree in any of the following specialties will be an added value: Information Technology, Information Systems or Computer Science.
Experience: At least five (5) or more years of progressively working experience in mobile application development.
Key skills and Knowledge:
- SProven work experience as a mobile applications developer (Android and iO)
- In-depth knowledge of Java and Swift
- Familiar with all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Ability to work in a team
- Good oral/written communication skills
- Basic database development skills
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Detailed information and submitting of your application can be made through WFP E-Recruitment System.
Internal WFP staff can access the VA through LMS/ CAREER page through the following link: http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
External applicants kindly follow the below link: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Make sure that you answer all mandatory questions and to attach your updated CV.
- Females are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates meeting the required qualifications will be contacted.
- CV should submitted only in English.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
20 February 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.