Job title: Programme Manager – West Nile
Reporting to: Area Manager
Direct reports: Protection Coordinator, WASH Coordinator, Livelihoods Coordinator, MEAL & Grants Coordinator
Overall purpose of the role:
The main purpose of this position is to support the Area Manager in the development, implementation and management of DRC's programming objectives and strategy in West Nile. To achieve this, the Programme Manager, must demonstrate generalist knowledge of the organization’s primary sectors of intervention, including, but not limited to refugee camp management, protection, WASH, livelihoods and infrastructure; and work collaboratively with the organization’s technical advisors, technical leads & Coordinators based in Kampala. The Programme Manager will be expected to become well versed in the policies and procedures of DRC’s support functions, including finance, administration and human resources, as well as logistics and procurement.
In addition to the aforementioned programmatic and support responsibilities, the Programme Manager will be tasked to take a lead role in program development, implementation coordination and representation with various stakeholders. The position requires a high degree of responsibility, a combination of thorough planning with the ability to act responsively and with flexibility.
Programme Development, Management and Reporting
- Ensure that projects and associated activities are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements.
- Coordinate with both relevant internal and external actors to ensure an integrated approach to programming, and actively support synergies between the interventions of different DRC departments.
- Work with the Area Manager, MEAL & Grants Coordinator and Technical Leads to ensure the timely submission of all narrative reporting to donors and key stakeholders, by coordinating, consolidating and reviewing program report inputs; ensuring follow up on any potential discrepancies or gaps in data, and editing reports to ensure coherency.
- Support in the design of needs assessments to inform emergency and humanitarian program design as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Work with the Area Manager, Head of Support Services, Technical Leads and MEAL & Grants Coordinator to contribute to new project development, including both narratives and budgets, by coordinating and compiling inputs from other technical and support staff.
- In collaboration with the Kampala-based M&E team, ensure the implementation of projects complies with quality standards and are monitored in accordance with pre-defined objectives and indicators.
- Coordinate with both relevant internal and external actors to ensure an internally integrated approach to emergency response and mobilization of support.
- Take lead in developing emergency response actions of DRC in West Nile including proposal development, planning, resourcing and roll out and reporting.
- Champion and contribute to the rollout and internal understanding and commitment of the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Support the Area Manager and Support Team in the development of budgets, spending plans and procurement plans; maintain a budget overview of all projects and activities; collaborate regularly with the Area Manager and SSM to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of all grants.
- Ensure full compliance with DRC and donor financial guidelines and policies.
- Manage the team of Sectoral Technical Leads for West Nile.
- Support the Area Manager in representing DRC in West Nile and act on his/ her behalf as requested. This includes attending all relevant forums and meetings, with the objective of making positive contributions to coordination and sector-specific fora and strengthening DRC's position as a well-informed and responsive emergency and humanitarian actor in West Nile and Uganda.
- Identify and foster professional and constructive relationships with government authorities, specifically the OPM, District Authorities and other relevant actors and stakeholders in West Nile.
- In the absence of the Area Manager, assume responsibility for managing all day-to-day functions of the West Nile office and staff, including coordination between departments, ensuring compliance in financial procedures and budgeting, administration, human resources, logistics, procurement and security.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 3 to 5 years' proven experience in managing budgets exceeding 1m USD;
- 3 to 5 years’ experience with Non-Governmental Organization in a similar/related position;
- Knowledge and working experience of various donors such as UNHCR, BPRM, EC-ECHO, Danida;
- Previous working experience in refugee response is an asset;
- Experience working with large or complex teams;
- Excellent command of English language;
- Good interpersonal, communication skills with proven experience in liaising with local authorities;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- A team player and the ability to work with limited supervision;
- Flexible, pro-active, and with the ability on follow through on tasks.
- University degree in social sciences or related relevant field.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in local and/or refugee languages would be an asset.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications close on 20th February 2019.