Executive Office Associate (Internal candidates only)
Background Information - Job-specific
This position provides an excellent opportunity to be exposed to many aspects of UNOPS operations including corporate management and planning, as well as to engage with colleagues at all levels in the organisation.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Executive Associate, the Executive Associate supports the effective and efficient functioning of the Executive Office office, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow, and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
Full confidentiality in all aspects of the assignment is imperative.
The Executive Associate works in close collaboration with UNOPS personnel at all levels including the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director, as well as with UN Agencies and senior government officials to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, preparation of agendas, etc.
Summary of key functions:
- Effective and efficient management of the Executive Office finance function
- Effective and efficient functioning of the Deputy/Executive Director office
- Effective communications and administrative support to the office
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management
1. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Deputy Executive Director’s office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensuring timely processing and payment of all office administrative expenditures in UNOPS ERP system liaising with colleagues and external service providers when necessary
- MasterCard reconciliation and settlement of expense claims
- Assisting in efficient and discreet management of the Deputy/ Executive Director’s schedules
- Assisting organization of special corporate events, such as luncheons, receptions for high-level invitees from missions, governments, UN agencies, governmental/non-governmental organizations and other partners
- Establishment of an effective network and exchange of information with internal partners and important business clients
- Screening of all incoming communications, filter outgoing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, clearance and further action by other staff; wherever possible.
- Adherence to appropriate protocol and correspondence guidelines by the office team when communicating with Government and other external partners;
- Development of effective systems and procedures to improve and streamline work and communication flow within the team, to meet high paced job demands and business requirements.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
2. Ensures provision of effective communications and administrative support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in the review and monitoring of expenditures against the administrative budget
- Establishment and maintenance of all hard copy and electronic files, reference materials and confidential records as required, and evaluation of information for retention or disposal.
- Facilitation of information sharing with Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations Teams.
- Drafting of routine correspondence, interoffice circulars, general briefing notes, documents, reports, and minutes of meetings when requested, translations when required.
- Preparation of spreadsheets, database files, presentation slides and tables ensuring appropriate style and accuracy of information.
- Assistance in management of the Deputy/ Executive Director’s missions and representation schedule, as well as related travel arrangements.
- Preparation of requests for recruitment of consultants for corporate requirements, including drafting/obtaining TORs, identification of consultants/firms, submission of requests to Procurement Unit and ensuring appropriate settlement and follow-up thereof, in accordance with UNOPS guidelines.
- Provision of all other related administrative, logistical, protocol and secretary services for the Directorate.
3. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of new or temporary support personnel on office methods, systems and procedures.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the Deputy/ Executive Director’s office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UNOPS as an effective service provider. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- Secondary Education or High School Diploma is required Specialized secretarial training or office management is desirable.
- 6 years of progressively responsible secretarial, finance, administrative, programme experience is required.
- Experience working in an international organisation will be highly regarded.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2007 and/or newer versions), experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- At least 1 year experience in arranging conferences and VIP Hospitality Management.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of French, Arabic or Spanish is highly desirable.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- The working hours for the position are between 09:00 and 17:30, however, sometimes there might be a need to be available out of hours in emergencies Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: LICA
- Contract level: LICA-6 / ICS-6
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.