- Function title: System Technician
- Reference: NOC-NM-2019-FGII/005
- Location: Brussels
- Nature of the competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
- Grades: 4/5
- Generic post: Technician (FG-II) (4/5)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 3 Year
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: NMD/NTS/TOS/CSO - Systems Operations SOS Section
- Competition publication date: 30/01/2019
- Competition closing date: 27/02/2019
- Reserve list: No reserve list will be established as part of this competition
Within the Network Management Directorate, Network Technical Systems is responsible for developing and maintaining the mission-critical systems specific to NMD, the specifications, provision, integration, operations and support of the technical facilities and associated services necessary to perform the NM mission; this includes all NM operational systems, the related communications facilities and the technical infrastructure. In addition, NTS contributes to the overall development of the ATFM component of the ATM network and to the Operations Coordination Group. Other responsibilities include coordination of the technical evolution of the NM systems with other developments in the Agency and ensuring consistency and coherence of the technical and application structure of the NM systems.
The NMD/NTS/TOS Unit is the sole technical interface with Current Operations within the Network Operations Division. It is responsible for validation, deployment, and technical H24/D7 operation of all NMOC software systems.
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks under the responsibility of their superior:
- To assist in support tasks such as incident management, change management, problem management, transfer of documents, system and hardware configuration, in order to represent CSO observations and problems;
- To assist in the development, monitoring and reporting on relevant KPIs as required for provision of CSO and NM services, support delivery of KPIs in dashboards and capture management feedback and initiate improvement activities;
- To support maintenance of required reports and documentation relative to the main purpose of the CSO activity e.g. yearly booklet, monthly dashboard;
- To support the Head of CSO in coordinating and ensuring efficient communication with the CSO team on all changes, problems and requirements;
- To participate to the elaboration of technical/operational requirements for CSO with external providers and internal developers;
- To participate and represent CSO in various DRP and BCP setup and preparatory activities;
- To participate to incident briefings with CSO staff and LSEs (Local System Expert) for evaluation and analysis to improve quality of CSO first level support;
- To participate in and represent CSO in various bodies (CSO Daily Brief, Operational Change Control Board, Environment Data Control Board, Incident Management Board etc.);
- To assist the Head of CSO in planning and organising new CSO releases, operational changes and project planning related to technical operations;
- To support centralisation and coordination of all change management activities for CSO;
- To assist in review activities (initiation, coordination) of
- System Operational Documentation libraries
- System Operation Procedures
- Validation and acceptance processes
- To assist the certification process owner in ensuring that CSO staff fulfil the requirements as specified in the CECAS certification, including maintenance of records and planning and organisation of courses;
- To assist in the provision of training to CSO within their area of competence;
- To assist the Head of CSO in building and maintaining the CSO skills matrix;
- To perform any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Post-secondary education attested by a diploma in an associated field or secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and relevant professional experience of at least 3 years
- In addition to the above, minimum 1 year of relevant working experience
- Experience with NM specific hardware and applications
- Understanding of project management
- Knowledge of ITIL best practices
- Experience with Service Now and standard Office applications
- Knowledge of NM Service Management processes and procedures
- Understanding of UNIX, WIN systems, LAN-WAN equipment
- Communication: Expresses information and ideas effectively
- Planning and organising: Displays an organized and methodical approach
- Quality focus: Delivers consistent quality work
- Problem solving: Responds to (routine) problems as they arise by applying job knowledge
- Analytical thinking: Analyses information and identifies relationships
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach
- Thorough knowledge of one of the working languages of the Agency (English/French) and satisfactory knowledge of the other language
- An initial selection will be made by a Selection Board on the basis of the candidates' qualifications and experience. Thereafter, those candidates considered suitable may be invited to assessment and interviews.
- Candidates should apply online by answering the online form, and attaching a curriculum vitae, preferably the Europass CV, and a cover letter.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. Agency staff subject to the Staff Regulations governing officials, the General Conditions of Employment governing servants at the Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, or the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff are considered internal candidates. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be required to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is an equal opportunity employer, promotes gender diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from female candidates.