UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women China office in Beijing is hiring a Partnerships Specialist to support the development and implementation of UN Women’s global agenda. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Country Representative in the UN Women China Office, the Partnerships Specialist will support the establishment and management of relations with Chinese government counterparts, multilateral and bilateral agencies, private sector entities, and civil society, to address emerging issues and opportunities in area of promoting gender equality and to facilitate program development and delivery, as well as campaign and policy advocacy. She or He will also spearhead the UN Women China Office resource mobilization strategy, as well as enhance resource mobilization capacity among colleagues.
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with UN Women colleagues across various regions (as required), UN RC and RCO, and other UN agencies in China. The incumbent will also work closely with the Strategic Partnership Specialist based in UN Women’s Regional Office for Asia and the pacific on strategy development and execution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage UN Women’s strategic partnerships in the China
- Develop, Manage and coordinate relationships with key partners to drive transformative change;
- Set and monitor annual priorities, goals and key performance indicators (KPIs) for key partnerships;
- Provide strategic advice to the Country Representative to build and maintain partnerships and positioning with key government entities, the diplomatic community and the private sector;
- Advise programme colleagues on the design and implementation of effective advocacy strategies and methods for proactive and strategic targeting of partners and donors.
- Manage, and facilitate the implementation of resource mobilization strategies and initiatives
- Manage the development and implementation of differentiated fund-raising strategies, aligned and coordinated with country-level activities and global initiatives;
- Maintain and strengthen current partnerships, identify and build new partnerships with government institutions, multilateral and bilateral agencies, private sector entities, civil society groups and academia to further UN Women’s work in China and globally, in particular under the context of South-South collaboration;
- Provide technical support to the development of project proposals in line with the UN Women’s strategy and the interest of potential partners and donors;
- Oversee the private sector engagement team, in close collaboration with the Country Representative and the Strategic Partnership Specialist at the Regional Office
- Identify common interests and shared value between UN Women and partners in promoting gender equality and women’s economic empowerment in China and globally, to initiate joint activities, campaigns and projects.
- Represent UN Women (as appropriate/delegated) in organizational, regional, global, events and meetings to contribute to strategic discussions on gender equality and women’s economic empowerment
- Support UN Women Country Representative in the UN Country Team (UNCT) to collaborate with RCO and UN system partners to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF development planning and agenda/priority setting.
- Build trust and maintain effective relationships with donors
- Provide technical support to the Country Representative in the preparation of missions, meetings and other consultations with key partners and donors, including the preparation of notes, briefs and other materials;
- Act as a direct entry point for key partners including the Chinese government and the diplomatic community, building institutional relationships;
- Identify opportunities to secure additional non-core resources for UN Women China and UN Women’s operations in relevant markets.
- Support Program Managers on programme management:
- Support Program Managers to monitor and assess programs and operations and provide advice on innovative solutions, partnerships and management practices to enhance programming and operations
- Support Program Managers to monitor implementation and progress of work plans
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the CO to facilitate/contribute to the preparation of AWP. Monitor critical issues to resolve problems and/or recommend to the Country Representative action to ensure appropriate and optimum use of resources.
- Participate in knowledge building and sharing and advocacy efforts
- Contribute to the development of knowledge products and mechanisms to effectively position UN Women in the country and region wherever possible;
- Share knowledge and enhance organizational learning among UN Women country, regional and field offices through the development and use of on-line tools, templates, tips, mechanisms and guidelines;
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely attention and response to UN Women’s partners and donors
- Drive the development of a resource mobilization strategy
- Timely targeting of funding opportunities and timely tracking of donor intelligence
- Quality monitoring and reporting mechanism to ensure quality of data and limit redundancy in efforts
- Deepen engagement with key Chinese government entities
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with government representatives of Member States (donor and programme);
- Proven networking skills, and ability to mobilize support on behalf of UN Women;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes;
- Strong IT skills, including databases, extranet and office software packages;
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, business management, social sciences, public administration, international relations, communications, women's studies, or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in resource mobilization, communications/ advocacy, and/or business development;
- Experience in gender equality and women's empowerment is preferred;
- Experience working with civil society organizations, international institutions and donors;
- Experience working in the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Mandarin is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
- Knowledge of Chinese government priorities and development goals is an asset.