UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women China office in Beijing is hiring a Communications Analyst to support the development and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies of UN Women China Office to raise awareness of gender equality and women empowerment and increase visibility of the UN Women’s programmes. Ideally, the applicant will have strong background in communications, excellent networking skills and/or be familiar with the work of the UN. She/he will work in close collaboration with the project and operations teams in the country office, staff of other UN Agencies, UN Women Regional Office and HQ. The Communications Analyst should be an excellent team player, adaptable and flexible, mature and responsible, and able to multi-task. Although able to act effectively with minimum supervision, she/he should frequently engage in consultation with her/his supervisor and colleagues
Reporting to the Country Representative, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Regional communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Provide analysis for elaboration of communication strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to RO/HQ;
- Provide inputs and support to the launch of in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events.
- Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in China
- Draft briefing materials, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify storylines for publication and articles;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
- Coordinate media relations for UN Women China
- Coordinate the establishment of relevant relationships;
- Maintain list of relevant media in country;
- Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences and briefing session for press, as required;
- Draft talking points.
- Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
- Maintain relationships with partners and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors, as delegated.
- Coordinate the Regional and UN Women China web/ online presence
- Coordinate UN Women China websites’ content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Coordinate UN Women China social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, resources.
- Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals and activities;
- Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in China
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local country media landscape
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 1 year of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Experience in the use of social media.
- Fluency in English and Chinese is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.