Banjul (Gambia the)
Job Title: Peacebuilding Fund Programme Coordinator
Reports to: UN Resident Coordinator
Grade Level: NOC
Duty Station: Banjul, The Gambia
Type of Assignment: Fixed Term Appointment
The Gambia became eligible as a recipient of UN Peacebuilding Fund’s Peace and Recovery Facility (PRF) in September 2018 based on a submission from the government of The Gambia summarizing the current conflict and development situation and highlighting the need to address conflict drivers and sustain peace in The Gambia with concrete and supportive intervention. Four Peacebuilding Priority projects were articulated as a basis against which the first tranche of PBF funding was allocated. These are:
1. Support the capacity of the Government and national stakeholders to establish credible transitional justice processes and mechanism that promote reconciliation and sustainable peace in The Gambia Phase II
2. Addressing Conflict over Land and Natural Resources in The Gambia
3. Increased Women/Youth participation in political and decision-making processes and as agents of early warning and prevention mechanism for community conflict.
4. Strengthening sustainable and holistic reintegration of returnees in The Gambia
The PBF Secretariat is meant to support the UNDAF Joint Steering Committee (JSC) in The Gambia to oversee and coordinate the implementation of The Gambia Peacebuilding Priority programme over the next 24 months (2018 -2020). The JSC is co-chaired by the Secretary General in the Office of The President and the United Nations Resident Coordinator. The Secretariat will also provide support to the JSC in overseeing and reporting on the implementation of PBF projects. The main project focus of the PBF secretariat in The Gambia will be to ensure overall coordination, undertake monitoring and reporting of PBF programmes, support evaluation exercises, as well as provide capacity building in peacebuilding programming and communication of PBF programme results.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary-General and Resident Coordinator and the technical supervision of the Peace and Development Advisor/Director General of the Strategic Policy Department the Program Coordinator is specifically responsible for the following tasks:
- Supervision of the work of the PBF Secretariat team
- Monitors progress of the peacebuilding context, needs and risks and in PBF priority areas and provide technical advice;
- Support the Joint Steering Committee;
- Ensure the quality of PBF support, according to PBF guidelines, and monitor / report on progress;
- Provide programmatic support for the functioning of the Secretariat;
- Any other tasks that may be assigned by Supervisors.
Support the Joint Steering Committee:
- Assist the Joint Steering Committee in the organization of meetings, including the preparation of working documents;
- Ensure the follow-up and dissemination of the decisions and recommendations made by the Joint Steering Committee;
- Support the steering committee in its oversight role and defining new peacebuilding priorities;
- Provide the necessary technical assistance to institutions or agencies involved in the design and implementation of peacebuilding projects, including peacebuilding expertise;
- Contribute to the harmonization and improvement of project documents and project reports before submitting them to the Joint Steering Committee (quality assurance especially on the peacebuilding aspect and according to the criteria of the PBF guidelines);
- Early warning to the Steering Committee, the Resident Coordinator, the implementing agencies and the PBF on the risks, delays and problems related to implementation of PBF projects.
- Ensure synergy between PBF program and other UNDAF Programs and projects
- Build and maintain strong partnership with national and international partners
- Review project proposals/progress reports and ensure that all stakeholders’ have participated before submission to the PBF Steering Committee for endorsement and for PBSO approval;
- Offers strategic advice to PBF Steering Committee on PBF future supports;
Ensure the quality of PBF support and monitor / report on progress:
- Liaison with relevant Ministries, UN recipient agencies and civil society for inclusive design and effective implementation of PBF projects;
- Provide support and advice in the preparation of progress reports on projects;
- Ensure the development of mapping and risk analysis that may impact the implementation of PBF projects and propose mitigation measures;
- From the individual progress reports of the projects, prepare the consolidated reports to be submitted to the Joint Steering Committee
- Prepare the annual report on the progress of the projects for the approval of the Steering Committee;
Provide programmatic support to the functioning of the Secretariat to the peacebuilding sub-sectoral group:
- Assist individual Implementing Partners (Ministries/UN Agencies) in the preparation of initial work plans and plans for monitoring activities;
- Liaise between the activities of the Secretariat and Implementing Partners;
- Provide support to the capabilities of the Implementing Partners.
- Facilitate the integration of the peacebuilding component into the various planning tools for development (UNDAF, Resilience Framework etc.)
Supervision of the work of the Secretariat team and its funds:
Supervise the work of the entire Secretariat team which may include a monitoring & evaluation officer, an administrative assistant and a driver;
- Demonstrates commitment to UN's mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
- Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in Peacebuilding, Management, Statistics, International Development, or equivalent discipline.
- Relevant experience of at least 7 years in management or coordination of development projects or programs, particularly in a context of peacebuilding and transitions
- Relevant experience in managing the development project cycle and results-based and reporting-based programming method;
- Experience in strategic planning of development and conflict prevention strategies;
- Experience in team supervision and leadership;
- Experience in liaison and negotiation with governments and international actors;
- Experience in the field of peacebuilding;
- Understanding of human rights, gender, strengthening the role of women and youth in peacebuilding would be an asset;
- Prior experience with the United Nations desirable.
- Good knowledge of the historical and socio-political context in The Gambia would be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required, and a good knowledge of French would be an asset.
Important applicant information
- This post is in the NO categories and is subject to local recruitment. It is not opened to International candidates.
- Contract Duration: Initial duration of one year and renewable
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged