IT Operations Associate SC6
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
IT OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE SC6 - RUMBEK.
WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME - SOUTH SUDAN COUNTRY OFFICE
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER 103289
POSITION TITLE: IT OPERATIONS ASSOCIATE
POSITION GRADE: SC6
CONTRACT TYPE: SERVICE CONTRACT
NUMBER OF POSITIONS TO BE FILLED:1 POSITION
CONTRACT DURATION: 12 MONTHS RENEWABLE
DUTY STATION: RUMBEK
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit, Chief or Information Technology Officer.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
To coordinate and guide Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Carry out system and hardware maintenance tasks, such as running specialised network monitoring and system protection, to ensure technology is running effectively.
2. Monitor technology reliability, identify user needs, analyse data and produce accurate reports in order to recommend IT solutions to support informative decision-making.
3. Resolve queries independently, escalating if required, to ensure that standard IT questions are answered and accurate information is provided to staff.
4. Provide standard technical training to end users of commonly used technology and systems, in order to assist WFP staff in conducting their work.
5. Provide guidance and training to junior colleagues in the delivery of IT support services to support the capability building of staff.
6. Support the co-ordination of new application implementation in order to provide WFP staff with the tools they need to perform effectively.
7. Draft standard material such as end-user and technical documentation to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products.
8. Implement improvements to methods and processes within the IT division in order to support the continuous improvement of IT services provided.
9. Coordinate installation and maintenance of telecommunications systems and equipment, to ensure optimal services in compliance with standard operations procedures.
10. Coordinate a team of IT staff to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations and policies.
11. Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems.|
|Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization||Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.|
|Technical Expertise||Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.|
|Service Management||Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.|
|Client Management||Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.|
|Procurement and Contract Management||Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.|
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has experience analysing service management results and development service enhancement recommendations.
• Has participated in business process re-engineering efforts and identified service management improvements.
• Has experience participating in country office procurement/budgeting process.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOUTH SUDANESE NATIONALS ONLY. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT WFP DOES NOT CHARGE ANY FEE AT ANY STAGE OF RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
21 FEBRUARY 2019
WFP IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYER. QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT WFP DOES NOT CHARGE ANY FEE AT ANY STAGE OF RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.