Internship - Individual Performance Strengthening, HR Division, Rome, Italy
World Food Programme
Internship, Individual Performance Strengthening Branch,
HR Division - Rome, Italy
The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
We are currently seeking to fill an internship position with WFP’s Individual Performance Strengthening Branch of the Human Resources division. The position will be based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy. The Internship will be for an initial period of 3-4 months starting as soon as possible.
The selected candidate will be joining a dynamic and diverse team and will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of highly visible and influential projects. Below are the key duties for the position:
- Assist with a broad range of processes related to performance management and talent management which are designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of WFP’s workforce;
- Be part of the HR team that works closely with Country Offices to support the effective implementation of relevant initiatives in the field, where WFP’s support is most needed;
- Contribute to the design and support the rollout of progressive online tools and other creative solutions to support the work of HR, the Branch, and WFP employees worldwide;
- Provide support to other key HR initiatives coordinated by the Branch such as the Engagement support, Global Staff Survey, Diversity & Inclusion, and long service awards;
- Contribute to the planning, design and development of WFP diversity & inclusion strategies and their implementation; perform gender related demographic data analysis to facilitate regular reporting: draft articles relevant to Diversity & Inclusion initiatives, and research and recommend Diversity & Inclusion current trends and best practices;
- Support the development of effective and innovative communication plans with a view to ensure a high level of engagement for all HR and Performance Strengthening initiatives;
- Stay relevant and up-to-date with market practices and external networks to build recognized capability and credibility. Use this knowledge to identify areas for improvement, share insights with global teams, and build capability in this area.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled and have attended University courses in the last 12 months inclusive of having completed at least two years of undergraduate studies or have recently graduated in the last 6 months with a BA or preferably an MA in Human Resources;
- Highly proficient and interested in the use of online tools and other IT solutions
- Highly proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Fluent in English
- Intermediate knowledge of one of the following languages: Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic or Russian is a distinct advantage -
- Excellent writing skills to assist in producing a range of communications and marketing material, including corporate brochures, newsletters and engaging campaigns;
- Excellent organisation skills, including the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, while at the same time ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritise a high workload;
- Initiative and creativity, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Prior experience in human resources (whether through study, internships or paid employment) is highly desirable.
- Proficiency/fluency in French would be an advantage
- Strong skill-set in using Power Point and translate complex information into easy design.
Terms and Conditions:
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- Candidates who bear any of the following relations to WFP staff members are not eligible to apply: sons, daughters, brothers or sisters.
Closing date: 22 February 2019
VA reference no: 103564
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.