Digital Communications Officer-Head Quarter Jerusalem-ERCD-(LDC-Limited Duration Contract)
Digital Communications Officer, LDC Band "H"/ S1 (Limited Duration Contract)
Open for INTERNAL• and EXTERNAL candidates
Deadline for Applications
26 February 2019
Contract Status &• Duration
Limited Duration Contract, Band "H"/ S1; renewable; Appointment subject to funding confirmation.
Vacancy Announcement Number
Duty Station & Department
Head Quarter Jerusalem- External Relations and Communications •
UNRWA is committed to achieving gender parity at all levels of staffing under the current UN-wide gender agenda and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for highly committed professionals wishing to make a change.
UNRWA's human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency's operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 5,000 staff in the West Bank Field Office working to foster the human development of some 800,000 registered Palestine refugees.••
The incumbent of this post is responsible to Director of Communications/ UNRWA Arabic Spokesperson.
The main responsibilities include:
In accordance with established Agency policy and procedures, the• incumbent:
• Reviews and develops new approaches, policies, processes and procedures and makes recommendations for the effective administration and improvement of the Agency's website design; monitors the implementation of improvements to website design and usability, ensuring optimal user experience and compliance with latest industry standards;
• Administers, plans, writes and edits compelling content for the Agency's website, ensuring a constantly high editorial standard;
• Supervises English and Arabic Language webmasters to ensure both languages on website reflect corresponding and accurate content and conducts regular reviews of the website content to ensure it is up-to-date, accurate and valid;
• Liaises with Communications Division colleagues and staff in the Agency's five fields of operations for the production of web content, including stories, videos and photo essays and coordinates with external programmes on technical improvement and training;
• Analyses website performance statistics and performs various Search Engine Optimization tasks and coordinates with web and social media vendors to improve services in line with the up-to-date technologies;
• Monitors news releases, human interest stories, publications and audio-visual content published on the Agency's website and other web communication channels and coordinates with local and international media representatives to ensure compliance with the Agency's Communications and Branding Guidelines;
• Assists the Chief in managing and producing compelling content for the Agency's various social media platforms, and provides web communications guidance to colleagues throughout the Agency;
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor(s).
Conditions of service
Monthly basic salary USD 2,784.10 depending on the professional knowledge and experience. Other benefits include compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave pre-rated to the duration of the contract where less than one year, and family allowance (if applicable).
To qualify for this position, you will need:
Advanced university degree in journalism, communications, public relations or• other related discipline.
At least eight years' experience in the application of the knowledge acquired in• journalism, communications, public relations or• other related discipline in a large national or international organization.
Experience should include writing for the web, New Media and knowledge of web communications technologies and standards.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Creating and Innovating.
• Planning and Organizing.
• Deciding and Initiating Action.
• Relating and Networking.
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts.
Candidates with an equivalent combination of relevant academic qualifications, professional training and progressive work experience may also be considered.
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
How to apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address and mobile phone number that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile are accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or interview can be contacted by e-mail or phone.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
On appointment, all individuals will be asked to sign a self-attestation, confirming that they have not committed, been convicted of, or prosecuted for, any criminal offence and that they have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
Date of issue: 12 February 2019