Head of Programme
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified and experienced Head of Programme to be responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation.
Danish refugee council has been operating in Libya and Tunisia since 2011 focusing on protection of the displaced and conflict affected population. These include refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants in Tripoli area and in the south west of the country, the population in and around Sirte affected by unexploded ordnance (UXOs) and to an increasing extent on the legal and illegal migrants and stateless populations in Libya. DRC/DDG has its head office in Tripoli and a field office in Sabha. Sabha is located 800 km south of Tripoli and is a central transit point for migrants and is home to large numbers of minority groups and stateless populations.
About the job
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within Libya. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities from a strategic perspective.
The overall purpose of the role is:
• Responsible for the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation
• Responsible for providing technical input to the implementing actors within the different sectors
• Responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas
• Responsible for shaping and driving the Advocacy strategy for the country and feeding into regional initiatives
• Enable and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation activities across the entire country operation
• Fundraising activities and external representation
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
• Lead and manage the programme staff (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
• Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
To be successful in this role we expect you to have experience in managing program operations, including at country senior management level. Moreover, we also expect the following:
• At least 7 years' experience in relevant field
• At least 4 years' experience with people management
• Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
• A Master’s degree in political science, international development, economics or another relevant field.
• Experience with proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation
• Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UNHCR and other relevant stakeholders
• Full professional proficiency in English. Good command of Arabic is an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months
Duty station: Tripoli, Libya
Start date: 1 April 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
You can apply for this position via the “Apply” button below.
Closing date for applications: 1 March 2019
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.