Shelter Team Leader - Design "Internals & Nationals Only"
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Shelter Team Leader - Design
Role Specific Information
The Shelter Team Leader is responsible for leading a team of architects producing technical designs for school construction / expansion projects
- Management of project staff.
- Implement plan of action for delegated portfolio of Core Competency projects (activities, budget and project documentation).
- Day to day follow of progress in project implementation.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, Core Competency tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer of key skills.
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of internally displaced/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards & principles within NRC and amongst beneficiaries served by NRC.
- Manage a team of architects to enable continued progress of design activities.
- Ensure that all designs and technical drawings are done as per technical guidelines, relevant building codes, standards and the industry’s best practices.
- Coordinate the selection of schools identified for expansion and rehabilitation project.
- Review, develop and control the quality of technical drawings produced by NRC’s school construction team.
- Coordinate with the Jordan Engineers Association, Civil Defense and any other relevant parties to obtain necessary approvals and certificates.
Our Ideal Candidate:
The candidate must be a university graduate in Architecture, with a minimum of four years of experience in similar field, with proven experience in developing designs and technical drawings, and knowledge in the construction sector.
The ideal candidate must be highly motivated, have strong management and communication skills to supervise a team of architects and coordinate with several parties and build trust. Must be details oriented, well organized and planned to handle multiple tasks in the field as well as the in the office and with the team.
We are looking for a hardworking dedicated candidate, who shows interest in this project to share their experience and provide their input to make a difference for vulnerable people.
In this position, you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Contract period: Through to 30 September 2019 (Renewable based on funding & performance)
Salary/benefits: 1347 JOD (subject to social security and Income tax)
Duty station: Irbid
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
B: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
To review the Job Description, please download it by clicking on the "Job Description" hyperlink showed below under the related documents field.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs