As part of the UN country team in Sudan, UNDP contributes to the reduction of extreme poverty and supports the establishment of a critical mass among Sudan’s people that is ready and able to engage in the development process of the country. In line with the overarching SDG goal “Leave No One Behind” (embedded amongst others in SDGs 1, 5, 10 and 13), our programme interventions target localities characterized by high levels of poverty, exclusion and those affected by conflict.
UNDP country programme in Sudan strives to strengthen community resilience and promote inclusive sustainable development in alignment with UNDP’s corporate Strategic Plan, the UN Development Assistance Framework and to the global Sustainable Development Goals framework. To achieve this, we support stabilization and governance for peace, environmentally sustainable livelihoods, a peaceful transition from recovery to development building the nexus between humanitarian and development in line with national priorities. We pay particular attention to the inclusion of vulnerable groups, women and youth, with programmes that apply multi-stakeholder partnerships as the modus operandi.
UNDP Sudan’s Strategic Planning, Partnerships and Communication (SPPC) Unit under Programme Division, is responsible for two multi-disciplinary but interrelated functions. First in realizing corporate results-based management for Country Office (CO) through planning, monitoring, and reporting of programmatic and development performance and effectiveness founded firmly on data driven analysis in support of evidence-based planning and decision making. Second in designing and executing CO communication, outreach and partnership strategy based on UNDP results and activities; building resourceful partnerships with all UNDP stakeholders.
Specifically, the Communications wing of SPPC unit, supports senior management, programme and project teams in the development of high-quality substance-driven innovative communications and outreach, ensures visibility of programme and projects, builds & maintains partnerships, and supports multi-level resource mobilization efforts.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Coordinator of SPPC, the incumbent will contribute in the design and implementation of the 2019 country office communications and outreach plan in line with the corporate communications policy, with particular focus on publication & advocacy activities as identified in the 2019 annual integrated work plan (IWP) priorities of the office.
He/she will work closely with the SPPC communication team, coordinate the team when required on specific outreach activities as per CO annual plan. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with Programme and Operations teams, communications staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQ communications bureau, government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNDP’s communication and outreach plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Implementation of communication and outreach plan for 2019 CO programme priorities.
- Development of publication and multi-media knowledge products for flagship projects.
- Oversee UNDP Sudan website organization and ensure up to date web content.
- Support public and media relations building to enhance business development.
- Ensure knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1. Implementation of communications and outreach plan for 2019 programme priorities focusing on achievement of the following;
- Draft and formulate communications and outreach plan for UNDP Sudan’s 2019 programme priorities, aligned with corporate communications policy with an aim to elevate organizational positioning and advocacy in key focus areas. This will entail close collaboration with communication and RBM team members, programme colleagues and development partners to produce communication materials and activities based on the results and impact achieved by concerned projects in the past years.
- Implement SPPC 2019 annual work plan activities on communications and partnerships building.
- Continuously review communicaitons work produced by country office team and ensure it is of the highest standards of UNDP.
2. Implementation of communications and outreach plan for 2019 programme priorities focusing on achievement of the following;
- Design and prepare the CO publications and multi media product plan on selected priority areas for 2019, ensuring adherence to corporate publication policy and branding guidelines.
- Design, write, edit, and proof read a variety of publication products with consistency, high quality, and conformity to established editorial standards.
- In close collaboration with project colleagues, identify, write and edit human interest sucess stories from the field that innovatively highlight achieved results and impact effectively to wider audience for publication on digital, print and multi media platforms.
- In relation to above, conduct photography and/or videography in project field missions, maintaining photo/video library of UNDP activities per focus areas, results and partners.
- Guide and support programme colleagues, in collaboration with the SP team, to design, write and produce briefs and innovative digital and non digital public information products on UNDP flagship projects.
- In consultation with relevant office unit, seek services from communication solutions agencies - creative agencies, film-makers, media agencies, design studios for creative output production. Some of the responsibilities include - scheduling of tasks, execution as per timelines and plans, review and follow up of product development up to completion stage.
3. Oversee UNDP Sudan website organization and ensure up to date web content focusing on achievement of the following;
- Oversee the maintenance of office website as per corporate requirement, in cooperation with the Communication and ICT team members.
- Monitor and prepare up to date content for the website.
- Quality assure Arabic translation of website content.
4. Support public and media relations to enhance business development focusing on achievement of the following;
- Ensure increased coverage and understanding of UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national and international public.
- Organize press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, and support preparation of press release and media kits in collaboration with programme and project colleagues.
- Establish and maintain strong relations with key media in the country (print, TV, digital etc.), ensuring a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular visibility of the organization on strategic areas.
- Ensure access for journalists to subject matter experts as well as organize media field missions to ensure appropriate visibility for UNDP work in Sudan.
Launches and campaigns
- Promote and maintain public information campaigns on UNDP activities, results of SDGs, in association with other UN agencies.
- Promote and disseminate country office advocacy materials related to the launch of flagship initiatives and publications.
- Support packaging and submission of programme initiatives for donors in collaboration with programme colleagues.
- Promote “one UN” image through publicity of the significance of local UN efforts, joint programmes, and common services. Organize and implement joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- Provide effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
5. Ensure knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- In close collaboration with SPPC Communications team, contribute to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice within UN system.
- Support organization of trainings on communications and outreach for the Country Office.
Impact of Results:
The results have an impact on increased visibility with consolidation of UNDP’s positioning and image as a lead and innovative development agency that supports building people’s resilience and sustainable development. In particular, the key results have an impact on fostering and strengthening new partnerships while reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2.: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in Public Relations, Journalism, Mass Communications or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of two years of progressively relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, journalism, publications, corporate communications or related field with a proven track record in writing and editing for print and digital media platforms.
Proven ability to shape messages and stories for multimedia and web content.
Experience in MS Office packages, good knowledge and experience in handling web management systems required.
Understanding of international development issues and previous experience with a multilateral or UN organization is desirable.
Photography and photo editing skills is desirable.
Fluency in written and verbal English and Arabic language is required.