Engineer SC9 Damascus-VA015-2019
Requisition # 103573
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
From 12 February 2019 to 26 February 2019
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Type: Service Contract
Duration: Six months.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. The Office of the United Nations World Food Programme in Syria is currently seeking a qualified candidate for
Engineer SC9 in Damascus
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The Engineering shall report to the Head of Engineering Unit in Syria in relation to all aspects of design, construction and contract management for projects in Syria as required (mainly related to Livelihood activities), the engineer will be working closely with the CO livelihood Unit in defining priority areas of intervention, planning the implementation and reporting on the progress achieved vs planned. The duties shall include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide engineering, project management and administrative services for assurance of the quality of the works during design and construction in line with WFP procedures and processes, international (and local) standards and codes and application of best practices, standards and innovative technologies.
- Contribute towards the planning of the projects including identification, technical feasibility and assessment, develop and/or review project proposal, budgets and detailed cost estimation and preparation of workplan.
- Support Syria Country Office with the preparation and/or review of technical document for bidding process such as scope of Works, tender packages in FIDIC modality, tender evaluation and contracting and selection of appropriate partners, consultants and firms as per the requirement of the programme and WFP policies.
- Undertake and/or review preliminary or detailed designs (preparing, writing and assembling drawings, schematics, masterplans, design calculations and reports, technical specifications).
- Monitor the construction projects for quality and timely implementation and track the progress against the contract and agreed workplan and take appropriate remedial measures.
- Conduct regular field visits and collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs. Review monthly reports of infrastructure project including review and clearance of monthly or progress payment.
- Liaise with stakeholders, both internal and external to the organization, including the relevant ministries and involved authorities. Attend meetings and prepare and review reports, minutes and correspondence.
- Coordinate and provide the required support to the WFP sub-offices and relevant units of WFP Syria such as finance, partnership and procurement for quality implementation of the programme through a coordinated approach.
- Any other duties assigned as per requirement of the Head of Engineering Unit.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Engineering, or First University Degree in Engineering with additional years of related work experience. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority.
Experience: Minimum three years of professional post graduate experience (i.e. after University Degree) in agriculture infrastructure construction or in water supply systems at increasing levels of responsibilities, preferably in a humanitarian setting with UN or International NGOs.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Arabic language.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Good communication and coordination skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience in engineering design and works supervision, specifically in irrigation projects.
- Detailed knowledge of construction contract formats and contract management obligations.
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders including government and partners.
- Good knowledge of public procurement procedures; international contract formats and construction management procedures.
- Experience of working in Humanitarian setting.
- Good knowledge of AutoCAD 2D and Office package.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted.
- Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once applying.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ),
International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other
similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.