Protection Assistant - Medical Assistant
Job title: Protection Assistant - Medical Assistant
Employment category: Band I
Reporting to: Protection Officer - Medical Doctor
Location: Hodeidah – with frequent travel to districts
Authorization level: As per IDRA
Overall purpose of the role
Through its protection/Multi sector programing, DRC is looking for a reliable Medical doctor to perform various office and field medical duties to keep DRC protection response running efficiently. Medical doctor will work directly under the supervision of Protection Manager to perform initial patient assessment, refer medical and surgical cases and follow up the cases.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
- Verifies patients’ information by interviewing them and fill referral form; and confirming the admission of each case.
- Follow-up with all children who are receiving, or have received, medical treatment through DRC, including conducting regular visits to the Hospitals, based on the child’s need or at the direction of the Protection Management.
- Review all files and consult with the designated children’s treatment providers (or potential treatment providers) to determine the appropriate course of action.
- Identifying the children whose condition requires to be prioritized for treatment.
- Creating monthly medical treatment summaries for each child during his/her treatment and at the conclusion of the medical treatment when the case is closed.
- Review all claims/expenses from the hospitals and with the support of the management determine which charges are appropriate and should be paid.
- Complete a monthly medical treatment summary for each child who is receiving medical treatment and submit the reports to Medical doctor/Protection Team Leader
- Complete a final medical treatment report for each child whose treatment has concluded and whose case is being closed and submit the reports to the Protection Team Leader.
- Maintaining strict confidentiality about the children and/or their families and the treatment being provided and, at all times, take active steps to protect the children and their families’ privacy and dignity.
- Given the nature of DRC programs and emergency activities; Flexibility is required.
- Complying with DRC’s policies and procedures including, but not limited to, the Code of Conduct.
- Inputting all cases to medical database
- Follow up Finance and other departments to carry out the payment of medical support cost.
- Any other duties as required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required experience and competencies
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Associate degree in a medical field (Nursing/Public health or any other relevant field of study) (bachelor’s degree preferred).
- 2+ years of experience working for a healthcare practice or hospital.
- Must have knowledge of: - Healthcare field and medical specialty -Medical terminology.
Find the definition of DRC’s Core competencies here
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
§ Good English language (written and spoken)
§ Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
· Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
· Protection Team Leader
· Protection Manager
· Area Manager
· Medical Doctor
CVs of qualified candidates are invited at the below link by 25th Feb 2019. Due to the urgency of this hiring, interviews will be on a rolling basis; and a candidate might be selected even before the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for positions within DRC Yemen.
¨Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
¨Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
¨Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.