Experimental Physicist (EP-DI-2019-5-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
You will be part of the Experimental Physics (EP) Department, which carries out basic research. This Department aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community.
The selected candidate will play an important role in one or more projects of particle physics experiments at CERN, involving the conception and design of experiments, the development and operation of detectors and the analysis of data.
PhD in the field of physics, or equivalent.
- Preferably from to 2 to 6 years of post-doctoral experience in the field of particle physics.
- Experience in data analysis, in the use of on-line or off-line software and competence in detector hardware.
- Physics analysis.
- Experimental particle physics.
- Particle detectors and interaction of particles with matter.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies.
- Building relationships: relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the Organization; understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities.
- Working in the interest of the Organization: actively promoting safety and encouraging others to do the same; respecting safety rules and procedures; promoting synergy and cooperation between the various parts of the Organization.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in English.
- Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts, or the willingness to acquire it.
Documents that will be required for your application:
- A Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of up to 10 most important publications indicating where you have been a principal contributor or a co-author, indicating your contribution for each in a couple of lines.
- A short (half page) description of your research interests.
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommendation letters should be recent (not more than 1 year old).
- You will only receive a link to request your three reference letters confidentially once you have fully submitted your application. Therefore we recommend that you allocate sufficient time to complete this step before the publication closing date.
- Our online application system only allows for alphanumeric values. If you submit an attachment that may provide you with a greater freedom of expression.
- Should you have any difficulties in applying through our new system, please contact Elaine McGoogan (elaine.mcgoogan at cern.ch).
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. Preference will be given to applicants from Member States and Associate Member States (http://cern.ch/jobs/content/member-states).
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.03.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions may require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-DI-2019-5-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Research Physicist
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further