Youth Assistant (National Position) Re-advertsed - Iraq
Sinjar (Iraq) | Nineveh
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Iraq
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk, Kirkuk and Mosul. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
Youth Assistant- Nineveh
The purpose of the Youth Assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the Youth project. The Youth assistant will support all field level operations and supervise incentive workers.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Strict adherence to the NRC Code of Conduct
- Assist with the implementation of the Youth project according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Make decisions on the ground with limited or remote supervision
- To assist in the implementation of Youth activities under direction of the Youth Officer
- Provide support to NRC activities, TVET and formal vocational schools in line with NRC quality standards
- Facilitate Youth training and activity sessions where needed
- Ensure direct communication and feedback with beneficiaries and relevant host communities
- Ensure ongoing monitoring and reporting of projects at field level
- Organize, support and participate in outreach and awareness sessions at the youth center and community-level meetings
- Organize and implement distributions of materials
- Submits written field reports after community mobilization sessions, and monitoring reports.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager
- Coordinate field level activities with other education and youth actors including DoE and MoSLA
Our Ideal Candidate:
A university graduate or higher in a relevant field(s) with work experience in project assistant position in a humanitarian/recovery context position and in humanitarian/recovery settings, especially in complex and volatile environments. Knowledge of spoken and written Arabic and English are required. Knowledge of Kurdish is preferred.
Contract period: Five (5) months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Sinjar, Nineveh
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please find attached the job description.