Water Sector Specialist
Development and restructuring of infrastructure has been a major component of UNDP and EU partnership in Cyprus since 2001. Investments in local infrastructure in the northern part of Cyprus have been financed in the sectors of environment, water and wastewater, architectural restorations, recreational areas, and other social infrastructure, such as local community facilities.
The EU in cooperation with UNPD established a new mechanism, namely the “Local Infrastructure Facility” (LIF), to coordinate and support the implementation of EU funded infrastructure projects in the northern part of Cyprus. Its main aim is the identification, selection, bringing to maturation, tendering and implementation of sustainable projects selected through iterative participatory processes ('calls for proposals') involving the EU, UNDP and the local communities/beneficiaries. The selected & matured projects are then to be proposed to be realised with EU funding and implemented by UNDP. Projects with bi-communal aspects, either in terms of physicality or implementation, are promoted where possible.
Under the (LIF), one of the main aims is to prepare sector specific master plans from which future projects will be extrapolated for implementation. The stakeholders have realized the importance of the development and adoption of a master plan to strategically guide its water management and water-related investments.
A comprehensive 'Water Management Master Plan' for water resources, waste waters and storm-waters, water basins are necessary to improve the northern part of Cyprus water resources management and assist in the strategic identification of necessary future projects mainly concerning water supply, sewage networks and flood management through an integrated approach to provide quality services to the region’s growing population and urbanization.
For this purpose, a Request for Proposal (RFP) procedure will be carried out to receive proposals from experienced consultancy companies to study, elaborate and develop a master plan for all areas of the northern part of Cyprus within the requirements of the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the UNDP Senior Programme Manager and the direct supervision of the LIF Project Manager, the Consultant shall carry out the elaboration of the detailed Terms of Reference to enable the UNDP to publish a RFP for a Service Contract to develop a comprehensive 'Water Management Master Plan' covering the whole of the northern part of Cyprus.
The Consultants activities are expected to indicatively involve:
Elaborating the TOR;
- Meetings with stakeholders and beneficiaries
- Initial appraisal of existing available studies
- Preparation of the 1st draft TOR
- Review of the 1st draft TOR and feedback by the stakeholders within 7 working days
- Developing the 2nd draft TOR with the inputs received from the stakeholders
- Review of the 2nd draft TOR by the stakeholders and proving feedback within 7 working days
- Finalisation of the TOR
Advising the Evaluation Panel;
- Attending as adviser to the evaluation panel of the RFP process
- Advise on the technical component of the RFP
- Collating an evaluation report on the technical component of the RFP
It is noted that the consultant’s advisory services during RFP evaluation process will be required to be carried out several months after completion of the final Terms of Reference.
The Consultant shall submit deliverables in three stages. Meetings to be carried out in 10 days of the contract signature.
- 1st draft TOR (estimated time of input up to 12 working days inclusive of meetings with stakeholders).
- 2nd draft TOR within 7 working days of receiving the stakeholder’s feedbacks (estimated time of input up to 5 working days)
- Final TOR within 7 working days of receiving the stakeholder’s feedbacks (estimated time of input up to 3 working days)
- Technical component report of the RFP evaluation within 1 day of the technical evaluation (estimated time of input up to 5 working days inclusive of attending as adviser to the evaluation panel of the RFP process).
25 working days in total. The Consultants working time is to be 100% based in Nicosia, northern part of Cyprus. Adequate working area is to be provided within UNDP premises.
Deliverables shall be submitted in printed (x 3 copies) and in editable electronic format (MS word, excel, etc.) on 'flash disk'.
Contents of the TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR):
The TOR that will be used for the Request for Proposal solicitation process and must include, inter alia, the following aspects/topics:
Project area/region, project background, project rationale, project general scope, etc.
OBJECTIVES, PURPOSE AND EXPECTED RESULTS
The beneficiary/ies, general & specific objectives, planning horizon 2040.
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Detailed description of the required services and masterplan to be elaborated. The masterplan shall at least elaborate on all the subsectors that are governed under the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC) and develop activities to achieve the outcomes for each sub-sector, such as;
- Drinking water
- Ground water
- Surface water
- Water basins and catchments
- Storm-water drainage
- Infrastructure assets
- Administrative setup
- Regional physical planning
- Urban and rural planning
- Service providers (human and financial capabilities)
- Financial status and sustainability of the services
The TOR will state the experience s, financial and human capacities and quality control setups of the consulting entity that will be engaged to undertake the master planning exercise
The TOR will also state the minimum number of experts and disciplines required for the elaboration of the master plans, such as the education & experience requirements and references
The TOR shall specify all existing data that the contracting authority will make available to the consulting entity, however this data will be required to be validated by the consulting entity during master plan elaboration.
ASSUMPTIONS and RISKS
The TOR shall give an outline of the assumptions and risks so that the consulting entity can develop its mitigation and monitoring measures during the master plan elaboration.
LOGISTICS AND TIMING
The TOR will give an indicate timelines for the elaboration of the masterplans, including at least 3 presentations to the stakeholders at the elaboration stage, 1 presentation at the draft outputs stage and 1 final presentation. It is expected that the Service Contract may indicatively run for 12 months.
The TOR will state the reporting requirements; such as inception report at the onset, draft master plans, final master plans, etc.
Other than the specific and technical competencies required in order to perform the duties described above, the following personal and general competencies will be needed:
- Overall Professionalism, Integrity, Enthusiasm & Commitment.
- Good problem-solving skills; ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Ability to plan own work and meet tight deadlines and able to work efficiently with minimal direction.
- Self-disciplined with strong work ethic.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates integrity by behaving according to the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Maintains effective partnerships and working relations with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent analytical and document drafting skills.
- Good problem-solving skills; ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given; ability to plan own work and meet tight deadlines; attention to detail.
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
Education, experience and language requirements:
- Master’ Degree in engineering or hydrology or related disciplines.
- At least 10 years of experience working in the water development sector and/or wastewater sector and/or management of the water/wastewater sectors.
- Experience in the elaboration of at least ONE master plan (minimum regional level) project concerning water, wastewater, storm water, surface water, etc., as the Client or as key member of the Consultant team.
- Experience in working on a project elaboration within the water framework directive (2000/60/EC).
- Experience in preparing at least THREE ToR's for the professional services contracts (EU or UNDP) concerning water, wastewater, storm water, surface water, water basin management, etc.
- Experience working in EU member state(s).
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Registration/membership with the relevant professional association/organisation in the EU member state if applicable.
- Competency in computer use.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- CV: Submission of CV
- References: Contact details of 3 references.
Financial Proposal: Applicants requested to submit financial proposal for the assignments defined in this term of reference as:
- A lump sum financial offer in Euro for the deliverables of 1,2 and 3; shall cover all expenditures including fees, health insurance, vaccination, international (all travel to join duty station/repatriation travel) or local travel (place of residence to office and office to place of residence), cost of living and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services. Leave benefits (annual, sick, paternity, maternity) are not applicable to Individual Contractor and absent days including weekends and office holidays are not payable.
- A daily fee in Euro for the consultant’s advisory services up to five (5) days
Evaluation / Selection Process
All applicants will be screened against qualifications and the competencies set above. Candidates fully meeting the requirements will be further evaluated based on the criteria below.
Technical Criteria (CV review and interviews) – 70% of total evaluation– max. 70 points
CV review: 30 points:
- Educational qualification as defined in the ToR (10 points)
- Experience as defined in the ToR (20 points)
Only candidates who obtained at least 70% of points from the CV review (who will score at least 21 points) will be eligible to be invited for an interview/desk review.
Interview/Desk review: 40 points
- Relevant work experience in water sector - 15
- Experience in preparation of terms of reference for Request for Proposals - 15
- Knowledge of the EU Water sector context - 10
Only those individual consultants who obtained at least 70% of points from the interview and written test (28 out of 40) will be considered for financial proposal evaluation.
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max. 30 points.
Financial scores will be calculated using the formula [lowest offer / financial offer of the candidate x 30].
UNDP applies the “Best value for money approach” – the final selection will be based on the combination of the applicants’ qualification and financial proposal.
Payable upon submission of the output(s) upon approval of UNDP.