Management/Project Management Officer
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS’ work in the South Asia region focuses on the construction and operation of high quality sustainable infrastructure and sustainable procurement, project management, timely provision of services, and the use of most relevant technologies. One of the main focuses on UNOPS work in South Asia is to reduce the vulnerability of population to unsafe infrastructure, maximize the impact of public investments in infrastructure, and improve the effectiveness and financial viability of the public services delivered out of key public infrastructures. Such projects provide social and economic benefits to vulnerable populations across the region, and contribute to poverty eradication. Projects target a range of sectors such as education, health, urban development, environmental services, climate change mitigation, as well as a range of “soft” support in Capacity Building, operations and maintenance of public assets, local governance, etc.
UNOPS Bangladesh has received an invitation from the Local Government Engineering Department (LGED) to submit proposal for the Establishment of a Climate Resilient Local Infrastructure Centre (CReLIC). The Centre is intended to fill up the gap between the increasingly diverse and competent landscape of think tanks and scientific institutions that provide policy advice and scientific data in Bangladesh and best practices generated within the LGED on the other side. CReLIC is one of the three components of the Climate Resilient Infrastructure Mainstreaming (CRIM) Project funded by KFW Development Bank and Green Climate Fund. The other two components are: Climate Resilient Rural Infrastructure and Climate Resilient Urban Infrastructure.
In particular, the services to be provided include technical and management support to LGED in the following areas:
- Establishment of a knowledge management system within the LGED to facilitate climate proofing in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of all local infrastructure on a sustainable basis.
- Adjustment of standards, procedures and guidelines of LGED accordingly.
- Mainstreaming climate proofing throughout the LGED organization and their local partners.
- Set-up and development of the Climate Resilient Local Infrastructure Centre (CReLIC) as a staff unit under the LGED top management and initiate the permanent institutionalization structure of CReLIC.
This project has four work packages: 1) Knowledge Management; 2) Guidelines, Standards and Procedures; 3) Communication, Consultation and Training; and 4) Institutional Development.
This 5 year project will lead to the institutionalization of the Centre as a staff unit under the LGED top management which will be responsible for: establishment of the knowledge management system for climate proofing in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of all local infrastructure; and setting of standards, procedures and guidelines for ensuring climate proofing.
Overall, the services will require designing and steering a comprehensive change process in a large organization and establishing a sustainable cooperation network on the national and international level.
The overall purpose of the assignment is to contribute to a strong technical leadership, guidance, capacity building and improved organizational effectiveness of LGED in the establishment of the Climate Resilient Local Infrastructure Centre. The post will require specialist capacity and local context on management and project management. The objective is to work closely with LGED counterparts for transfer of capacity as well as with other experts in the team to ensure effective delivery of services and assistance to LGED.The Management/Project Management Officer will contribute to the implementation of defined fields in Work Package 4: Institutional Development.
The Management/Project Management Officer will undertake the following primary tasks relative to Institutional Development:
- Contribution to the development of the charter and business plan of CReLIC
- Contribution to the development of services for CReLIC to be rendered to LGED and other clients
- Contribution to the development of a sustainable finance plan
- Setup of a system for continuously screening relevant funding opportunities for CReLIC
- Setup and management of a project management and information system within CReLIC
- Preparation of project funding proposals for CReLIC in accordance with LGED and in cooperation with local and/or regional / international partners
- Organisation and follow up of the meetings of the Project Coordination Committee (PCC), Project Steering Committee (PSC) and Consultative Advisory Group (CAG)
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- University degree in economics, business administration, geography / urban planning & management or related fields
- At least 4 years of professional experience in project management measures
- Professional experience in Bangladesh
- Experience working for international development agencies is an asset
- Knowledge on infrastructure, construction and/or climate change impacts and adaptation strategies and measures is an asset
- Proficiency in using ICT
- Proficient English skills (at least C1-level according to the Common European Framework of References for Languages). Fluent in oral and written Bengali.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICAContract level: Local ICA Specialist
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This is a local position and open to nationals of Bangladesh.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.