IT Assistant - SC5 and SC6 Levels - Sana'a
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Deadline: 3 March 2019
Job Title: IT Assistant
Contract: Service Contract
Grades: 5 and 6
Duration: 6 months
Location: Sana'a, Yemen
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
In 2019, WFP is scaling up its Yemen operations aiming to provide 12 million people with monthly food assistance through direct food distributions or vouchers; nutritional support to nearly 3 million pregnant and nursing women and children under 5; and gradually increase its cash assistance to 1 million people.
For more on WFP and what we do, please watch this video.
To coordinate and guide Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Carry out system and hardware maintenance tasks, such as running specialised network monitoring and system protection, to ensure technology is running effectively.
2. Monitor & Maintain technology including standard repairs, configuration, and storage, in accordance with data security and access controls, reliability, identify user needs, analyse data and produce accurate reports in order to recommend IT solutions to support informative decision-making.
3. Prepare files and systems for inventory and archives, such as website content and directories, to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date. Maintain information records such as updating web pages and statistical databases to ensure the information is current and well organised.
4. Respond to a variety of queries about technology and systems in order to assist WFP staff to deliver their services. Resolve queries independently, escalating if required, to ensure that standard IT questions are answered, and accurate information is provided to staff.
5. Provide standard technical training to end users of commonly used technology and systems, in order to assist WFP staff in conducting their work. Draft standard material such as end-user and technical documentation to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products.
6. Provide guidance and training to junior colleagues in the delivery of IT support services to support the capability building of staff. Allocate tasks to other colleagues, Coordinate a team of IT staff to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations and policies.
7. Support the co-ordination of new application implementation in order to provide WFP staff with the tools they need to perform effectively. Implement improvements to methods and processes within the IT division in order to support the continuous improvement of IT services provided.
8. Perform routine deployments of server hardware and software, including testing and the identification of problems. Coordinate installation and maintenance of telecommunications systems and equipment, to ensure optimal services in compliance with standard operations procedures.
9. Support the development of standard material such as training documentation and web content on behalf of senior officers, to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products. Draft standard material such as end-user and technical documentation to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products.
10. Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: University degree in a relevant area
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and English
Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience analysing service management results and development service enhancement recommendations.
- Has participated in business process re-engineering efforts and identified service management improvements.
- Has experience participating in country office procurement/budgeting process.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer.
- WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- By applying you acknowledge that this vacancy announcement is for multiple grade levels. WFP will review your skills and experience and consider you for roles at the appropriate level.
- The applicant should either be a Yemeni national or have a valid Yemeni Residence/work permit at the time of application.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online in English language only
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.