Airspace and Network Planning Data Scientist
- Function title: Airspace and Network Planning Data Scientist
- Reference: NOC-MA-2019-AD/027
- Location: Maastricht
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: General conditions of employment
- Grades for publication: AD5-6-7-8
- Type of post: Administrator (AD5-AD12)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: MAAS/OPS/OSD/ANP - OPS/OSD/Airspace and Network Planning
- Competition publication date: 20/02/2019
- Competition closing date: 20/03/2019 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: A reserve list valid for one year may be established for the recruitment of similar posts
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, the Airspace and Network Planning is the service involved in the following main activities: a) Airspace & network organisation; b) Airspace management (civil/military coordination); c) Strategic capacity planning d) Stakeholder & customer relationship management .
- To perform in-depth analysis on the quality of data sources to enable the development of models used for airspace design and airspace management concepts in line with MUAC operational strategy.
- To define the quality and usability of data sets and to prepare data for use in support to airspace design activities.
- To lead analysis of ATM models such as airspace usage, traffic flows and traffic demand in the MUAC AoR (Area of Responsibility) and AoI (Area of Interest). To investigate all relevant data and information sources to understand the effects and dependencies of MUAC airspace design and sector configuration adjustments within the network.
- To interface closely with key players (e.g. Engineering domain, etc.) to ensure development of concept models into operational models.
- To build and maintain an internal and external network (i.e. PRISME, NMD, etc.), and to stay up to date with innovation in field of expertise.
- To support and advise the management, and to contribute to reports, working papers, presentations and recommendations as required. To participate in working groups, meetings, projects, etc.
- To perform out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 3 years in a relevant domain (i.e. Data Science, Business Intelligence and Analytics, Big data or equivalent technology studies).
- In addition to the above, a minimum of 1 year relevant work experience.
- Internal candidates who do not meet the required level of education must justify appropriate professional experience within the Agency structure. Internal candidates should check on the intranet what level of in-house experience is required to compensate for any lack of educational qualifications.
- Experience in the analytical use of data (Business Intelligence, Data Science and Big Data), ideally in an ATM operational environment.
- Experience or knowledge of developing data modelling.
- Knowledge of Airspace Design processes and ATM.
- Knowledge of ATM and associated tools in use at MUAC would be an asset.
- English technical drafting skills.
- Analytical thinking: analyses information and identifies relationships.
- Customer focus: adapts services to respond to customer needs.
- Influencing: tailors style and approach to impact others.
- Communication: fosters two-way communication.
- Networking: maintains and expands effective networks.
- Professional conduct in line with corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, candidates must have thorough knowledge of English (written/oral).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 7 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be required to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the person will maintain his/her current type of appointment yet be selected to fill this position under the conditions set above (determined period). At the end of this limited-term appointment, he/she will be transferred to the type of post and grade corresponding to the one he/she held before the determined appointment.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex X of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is an equal opportunity employer, promotes gender diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from female candidates.