Malaria Technical Advisor
Washington D.C. (United States of America) | america
Job title: French-speaking Technical Advisor, Malaria
Location: Washington DC
Reports to: Senior LLIN Technical Advisor, PMI VectorLink Project
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door.
There are over 7,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
Working across 23 countries in sub-Saharan Africa as well as Cambodia, the U.S. President's Malaria Initiative (PMI) VectorLink Project is equipping countries to plan and implement safe, cost-effective and sustainable life-saving malaria vector control interventions with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Specifically, the PMI VectorLink Project will build the capacity of country governments to use epidemiological, entomological, and coverage data to support the optimal deployment of vector control tools within each country context while promoting gender equity in all facets of planning and implementation.
PSI is seeking an experienced, dynamic Technical Advisor to support the Malaria Department to deliver on a rapidly expanding portfolio of innovative and cutting-edge long-lasting insecticide treated net (LLIN) programs as part of the PMI VectorLink Project.
The Technical Advisor will play a key role, providing technical guidance to highly motivated country program counterparts. As PSI moves into its second year on the PMI VectorLink Project, country requests for technical support for LLIN distribution programs have more than doubled and are continuing to grow. The Technical Advisor will play a key role in strategy development, 'hands-on' implementation, reporting, and sharing of best practices and lessons learned with global malaria stakeholders.
The position is based in Washington DC and reports to the Senior LLIN Technical Advisor, PMI VectorLink Project.
Sound like you? Read on to find out more.
- Support local PSI and the PMI VectorLink Project staff to work closely with country malaria control programs, PMI country offices, LLIN stakeholders to achieve high-quality implementation of strategies and activities for achieving universal LLIN coverage.
- Support the PMI VectorLink project malaria related coordination efforts with key donors and external partners including: USAID, WHO, RBM, AMP, GFATM, BMGF, UNICEF and others.
- Provide in-country technical assistance to country programs, working with local teams to strategize, develop and implement the PMI VectorLink project activities.
- Produce and disseminate knowledge products and processes (toolkits, case studies, best practices, peer review publications, etc.) for national and international audiences to accelerate rapid transfer of best practices.
- Act as a technical focal point for malaria for all PMI VectorLink Project global services and country offices.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI's corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You'll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won't be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it's the only way you'll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You'll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won't succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
We are looking for someone with:
- Technical knowledge and credibility: Demonstrated global malaria technical advisor with established reputation for excellence in malaria control.
- Experience: Have worked for at least five years in the global health sphere with at least 3 years of experience in a developing country.
- Language skills: Fluent French is essential. Professional proficiency in English is highly desirable.
- Flexibility: Ability to travel up to 30%.
What would get us excited?
- Experience in various aspects of malaria prevention and control, preferably in East Africa or West and Central Africa
- Demonstrated experience in effective LLIN delivery.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
This position is pending donor approval. References will be required. Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship and relocation expenses will not be covered for this position. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.