Protection Coordinator - Tehran based (Iran Nationals Only) - Iran
#29 | Tehrān
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, food security, livelihoods, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 6000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. NRC runs the world’s largest standby rosters NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs
NRC in the Islamic Republic Iran
NRC started operations in Iran in 2012. We currently deliver humanitarian assistance in 8 provinces in the sectors of Education, Food Security and livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter construction, as well as Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). We co-lead several technical inter-agency working groups and provide capacity building to humanitarian partners in country. Next to our programs, NRC Iran also built an advocacy unit to develop joint messages and initiatives amongst INGOs to improve rights of the displaced.
Following several recent breakthroughs, NRC Iran is scaling up substantially its activities in support of the Government of Iran efforts towards an estimated 3,6 million Afghans residing in country and is expanding its programme unit.
About the position: Protection Coordinator for NRC Iran- Tehran based
The Protection Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the Protection Specialist with developing protection mainstreaming tools and delivering protection related trainings and capacity-building sessions in line with NRC’s Protection Policy and global protection standards. The Protection Coordinator will work with area offices, in particular area offices with no dedicated protection staff but also area based protection coordinators. She/He will support area based core competency teams to implement protection mainstreaming tools and provide guidance to ensure protection is integrated within programme cycle management. He/She will also support staff of local NGO partners’ capacity building through trainings and awareness raising sessions on minimum protection standards.
Our ideal Candidate:
Are you NRC’s future Protection Coordinator in NRC Iran ? NRC has a fantastic opportunity for a dedicated, hard worker and analytical thinker with a proven track record of efficient in protection field and also experienced in the field of training and capacity building to give support to a rapidly expanding program.
- Ensure compliance with NRC protection policies and procedures, handbooks and guidelines and/or propose new initiatives to bridge gaps and implement these
- Contribute to development of protection related SOP’s and makes sure they are implemented accordingly
- Contribute protection input to Area Managers in developing CC strategy, project proposals and provide protection related input on needs and gaps
- Support area offices to ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Contribute to developing protection mainstreaming tools and guidance and continually update protection mainstreaming action plans to ensure integrated and safe programming.
- represent NRC relevant local authorities if delegated and other key stakeholders and deputize in the Protection Working Group
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Support the development of protection in integrated programming, including participation in needs assessment and monitoring activities.
- Support the training, capacity building and mentoring of field staff and awareness raising of non-staff (community focal points, local NGOs, contractors and incentive labour) on minimum protection standards and PSEA)
- Support the development of a stand-alone protection programme.
- Experience for working as Protection Officer/Coordinator in a protracted refugee context
- Previous experience from working in complex contexts
- Documented results related to the position's responsibilities
- Experience developing and delivering protection training and good presentation skills
- Knowledge of the Afghanistan displacement context in Iran is an asset
- Detailed oriented and strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of global protection standards and relevant bodies of international law
- Experience from delivering protection training in English and Farsi
- Proficiency in Farsi and English
Contract duration/until: End of 2019 with extension possibility.
Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and condition