Civil & Structural Technician –Retainer
Background Information - Job-specific
KEMC has its own Design Services Unit (DSU) which consists of design production office and engineering project management cell, consisting of Civil, Structural, M&E Engineers, Architects, Design Associates and Quantity Surveyors. The DSU carries out low risk engineering works and building structures. This generally involves concept designs, feasibility studies and low/medium risk designs that include buildings of up to 2 stories in height (as per the UNOPS design planning manual) and civil works that may include using standard designs of structures for rural roads. High risk building and structure designs are outsourced to specialist design firms.
Under the overall supervision of the Civil & Structural Engineers and the Design Service Unit Manager, the Civil & Structural Technician will give his/her technical expertise as required to assist in developing any designs assigned and related documentation works. Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks but not limited to:
- Drafting detailed dimensional civil and structural drawings and design layouts of buildings, drainage sytems, roads and other structures as per the civil and structural Engineer’s design to approved Design standards required for submission
- Assist in collating feedback and preparing consultation/assessment reports
The Civil & Structural Technician will be required to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under KEMC as required and as UNDSS permits.
An agreed scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by the Civil & Structural Engineer, DSU Manager and the Civil & Structural Technician prior to commencement of each assignment.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Assist the Civil & Structural Engineer in preparing and design reports addressing specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary.
- Assist in preparing comprehensive design documentation that will include and not limited to drawings, specifications, design review checklist, bar bending schedules and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing using latest design software and Codes.
- Assist in ensuring the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Assist in timely delivery of the expected outputs.
- Assist in carrying out structural site inspections and assessments as required.
- Assist in coordinating the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned.
- Diploma in Civil & Structural Engineering from an accredited institution is required;
- Minimum 3 years’ professional experience in Civil & Structural Engineering drawings Drafting.
- Excellent written and spoken English is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context is desired.
- Good team player attitude is desired.
- Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands is desired.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines is deired.
- Good in using the following software, Revit, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D and CADS RC is desired.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written is desired.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA (Individual Contractor Agreement) Contract level: LICA5 Equivalent to ICS-5/G5 level
Contract duration: Short-term ICA – Maximum duration 12 months
This position is based on a family duty stationThis is a local position, therefore it is open to the nationals of Kenya and applicants who have a valid residency work permit to work in Kenya.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Kenya Multi Country Office (KMCO)
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KMCO sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and several island states.