1919 Junior Advisor - IT and Entrepreneurship (80% part-time)
To provide expert advice to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) on the development of the IT industry in Serbia, with a particular focus on developing competitive and stimulating environment for IT and innovation.
To ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the project activities and achievement of project results.
c. Background Information
The Prime Minister of the Republic of Serbia, in her address to Parliament, outlined the 10-points reform plan of the government in the next four years. This plan envisages strengthening institutions, enhancing connectivity with the region, improving business environment and creating appealing investment climate to increase competitiveness of the economy and ensure sustainable growth and better living standard for all citizens.
To steer reforms at a fast-track pace, the Office of the Prime Minister has set up a Strategic project implementation Unit as a single information and coordination point supporting the head of Government in reaching evidence-based policy decisions.
In December 2016, the Government of the Republic of Serbia established the Ministerial Council for Innovative Entrepreneurship and Information Technology (IT Council) with the aim of moving Serbia faster in the fourth industrial revolution. Information and communication technology sector is one of the largest sectors in Serbia, and one of the largest net exporters. Its growth, according to the data of the Business Registers Agency, was 21.7% per year in the period 2008-2016. The sector employs more than 40,000 people and has an annual income of over EUR 4 billion. According to the data of the National Bank of Serbia (NBS), the export of computer services in 2016 reached EUR 740 million. The average salary per employee in the information technology (IT) sector is almost twice as high as in other industries.
The work of the IT Council should support the Government to increase the annual net exports of the IT sector from the current EUR 400 million to EUR 1.5 billion per year by 2020. This goal will contribute to the creation of new jobs for the citizens of Serbia, create better environment for innovation and make a contribution to the fiscal position of the Government. In parallel, the Government adopted the Strategy for Development of Information Technology Industry for 2017-2020, and focused on key areas and initiatives:
- Development of human capital;
- Building the innovation infrastructure;
- Competitive market;
- Financial incentives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Measurable outputs of the work assignment
The Advisor shall:
- Actively participate in the realization of initiatives set by the Government Council for IT and Innovative Entrepreneurship;
- Track progress, identify key bottlenecks and take action to fast-track implementation of the key projects related to developing competitive and stimulating environment for IT and innovation;
- Take an active role in the projects regarding the digitization of education;
- Act as a key liaison on specific topics between the PMO and the line Ministries, implementation agencies and other involved stakeholders. This includes maintaining good cooperation and coordination between national counterparts, project partners and other stakeholders, and maintain regular contacts with beneficiaries to ensure relevance and quality of projects’ outputs;
- Prepare regular progress reports on the specific project results, implementation issues, emerging risks/problems and propose necessary remedial actions;
- Analyze different policy options and courses of action in regard to the specific projects, evaluate risks tied to each operation and develop aggregated reports with recommendations for action;
- Analyze international models and incentives for stimulating innovation and R&D and different financing options for innovation projects;
- Analyze international strategies and incentives for increase of export;
- Provide inputs for project work plans and project reports (semi-annual progress reports and final report) and their presentation to the PMO for review/approval;
- Identify, collect and analyze relevant policy-related information and data to support evidence-based policy making at the PMO;
- As required, prepare official correspondence for national and international partners;
- Perform other duties as required.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
- Overall satisfaction with provided services;
- Reports provided on time, in line with the quality standards and specific tasks assigned;
- Proactivity and taking ownership/initiative related to the assigned project or task;
- Demonstrates team work abilities, shares information and knowledge;
- Excellent communication skills – interpersonal communication, written and verbal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Client oriented: establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Good application of Results-Based Management;
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ethical standards;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and internet;
- Treats all people fairly without prejudice;
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor degree (MA preferred) in economics, business, administration, organizational science, IT, engineering or other relevant field.
- Track record of a minimum of two (2) years working in the public sector, private sector, non-governmental or international organization;
- Preferably 1-3 years of experience on positions involving project management, planning and implementation;
- Proven ability to deliver high quality output in implementation of projects;
- Track record of preparing high quality reports/documents;
- Strong network of national stakeholders, including public institutions, international organizations and businesses.
- Sound understanding of Serbia's political, institutional, and socio-economic situation;
- Knowledge of the system, structure and functioning of public administration in Serbia;
- Good understanding of the implemented government policies in the respective area;
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office package, especially Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances;
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building skills;
- Readiness to share and exchange knowledge with the rest of the team.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.