The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Finance Directorate (FI)- Strategy, Policies and Business Support Department (SPBS) – Financial Policies and Methodologies Division (FPM), at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
(Senior) Financial Policy Officer
This is a full time position at grade 5/6
The term of this contract will be 4 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs,
with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
Panel interviews are anticipated for the end of April/ beginning of May 2019
As a (Senior) Financial Policy Officer, you will provide research, analysis and advice on industry standards related to Finance Directorate’s activities and to the first line financial risks in order to contribute to policy decision-making in FI.
The Financial Policies & Methodologies (FPM) Division, within the Strategy Policies and Business Support Department (SPBS), is a new function established to provide FI management with methodologies and analysis supporting a wide variety of strategic decisions. In this role you will report to the Head of Division and closely cooperate with the other members of the team, strengthening the analytical and policy functions of the Division. The FPM division is new. The scope of its activities and responsibilities are still being shaped and the range of topics and policy issues looked at is broad. You will demonstrate initiative, flexibility and a capacity to work autonomously. Given the specific role of FPM, you will also frequently cooperate with colleagues in other FI Departments and in other Directorates (in particular Risk Management, Legal, Financial Control).
- Monitor developments in regulations and supervisory guidelines impacting the Bank in general and FI in particular. , In cooperation with other services you will be analysing and advising on the consequences of such developments for the Bank;
Contribute to the design, testing, implementation and revision of financial policies related to FI activities (treasury, capital markets and back-office) and to the financial management and financial risks handled in 1st line by the FI directorate (interest rate, FX, market, liquidity and counterparty credit risks). Examples of subjects typically include issues related to:
- Assets & Liability Management
- Fund Transfer Pricing
- Liquidity and treasury management (overall and by currency)
- Funding strategy
- Economic and regulatory capital related to exposures handled by FI
- Actively follow best banking practices, industry practices and practices of other international financial institutions (IFIs) and multilateral development banks (MDBs) in above-mentioned areas;
- Perform financial analysis and impact assessment studies related to the relevant policy proposals, to support discussion points in permanent committees (e.g. ALCO) and working groups;
- Contribute to Bank-wide initiatives such as the updates of the ILAAP, liquidity contingency planning, ICAAP, risk appetite framework, recovery planning, stress testing, pillar 3 report, etc;
- Prepare notes and briefings on financial policies and regulatory developments for FI management, in co-operation with team members and other relevant teams;
- Look after the organisation of the Regulatory Committee (REGCOM).
- University degree, preferably in Finance, Economics, Business Administration or Law
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience acquired preferably in a major financial institution, a consultancy firm, a supervisory authority, a central bank, or a major international organisation
One or several of the following constitutes an advantage:
- Experience in the implementation of projects aiming at ensuring compliance with new regulatory and supervisory requirements
- Experience in regulatory watch
- General knowledge and professional experience or exposure to capital markets and treasury activities, within front office, middle office / performance management or risk management.
- Expertise in the design and production of financial reporting in banks, especially in two areas (middle office reporting and/or prudential reporting’s).
- Relevant background in the development and implementation of financial models.
- Deep understanding of accounting principles.
- Relevant exposure to project management
- Knowledge of the EIB's mission, financial and lending activities would be an advantage
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and client oriented approach
- Ability to write clear and concise reports
- Excellent knowledge of English, with a good command of French(*). Knowledge of other EU languages is a plus.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
The level of functions in the job vacancy is only indicative and will be adjusted accordingly taking into account, among other things, the business need, as well as the selected candidate’s experience and expertise.
Deadline for applications: 22nd March 2019
(*) We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.