National Consultant(IC Management/Procurement Expert) UNDP/Country office, Kabul, Afghanistan
UNDP Global Mission Statement:
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with national counterparts on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
UNDP Afghanistan Mission Statement:
UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
Objective of the Assignment:
UNDP Afghanistan seeks to hire a National Consultant (IC Management/Procurement Expert) to work as a team member of Supply Chain Management Office (SCMO) in order to showcase the impact of its procurement delivery and focus on supporting Projects and Programme units in review of ToR, specifications and SoW, developing solicitation documents for cases identified in PROMPT and provision of support to IC unit/Procurement Unit Team on conducting the routine procurement process to ensure timely delivery of high value procurement services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work and Deliverables:
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Head of Procurement Unit, the National Consultant is a team member of the CO Individual Consultants Management Team, responsible for effective delivery of procurement services in order to obtain the best value for money in the country office. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement of Individual Consultants (ICs). The National Consultant promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The National Consultant (IC Management) works in close collaboration with the, Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO, and projects to successfully deliver procurement services for contracting and management of ICs.
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Synthesis of proposals and implementation of contract strategy in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation/desk review, contractor performance appraisal, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment;
- Implementation of the strategic consultancy management in the CO including sourcing strategy, consultant’s selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement;
- Provision of support in preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation;
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of IC contracting process including organization of Individual Consultants Procurement Notice, receipt of Technical/Financial Proposals, evaluation (Interview/desk-review), negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation;
- Review and certification of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Regional Advisory Committee on Procurement;
- Management of IC contracts and, upon delegation of responsibility, performing the functions of Buyer in Atlas for Purchase orders and vendors creation;
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for IC management and Procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies;
- Development and management of the rosters of Consultants/Experts, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms;
- Management of e-procurement module for consultants;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on IC Management and Procurement;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in IC Procurement;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Expected Key Deliverables:
The IC will be paid on daily basis through signed timesheet by the supervisor upon achieving the assigned tasks as indicated above.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Head of Procurement, the Consultant is responsible for effective delivery of procurement services in order to obtain the best value for money in the country office. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement. The Consultant promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
Duration of the Work:
6 months with maximum 132 working days with possibility of extension.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems.
Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features;
- Develops simple system components;
- Client Orientation.
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Managing conflict.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement. Knowledge of Dari or Pashto is highly desirable.
Years of experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience at the national level in Operations, Procurement, (IC management is preferable).
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of web-based management systems.
Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments:
The contractor shall submit a price proposal as below:
- Daily Fee – The contractor shall propose a daily fee, which should be inclusive of his/her professional fee, local communication and transportation costs. The number of working days for which the daily fee shall be payable under the contract is approximately 132 working days.
The payment will be daily based and shall be paid on monthly basis through signed timesheet and certification of key deliverables by the supervisor as stipulated in the Terms of Reference (ToR).
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
- Cumulative analysis.
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and;
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria: Weight 70%
* Financial Criteria: Weight 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70% of the total technical points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Technical Criteria 70 points:
Qualification and Experience (70 marks) [evaluation of CV]
- General Qualification (25 marks);
- Experience relevant to the assignment (35 marks);
- Experience of working for projects funded by UNDP (10 marks).
Documents to be included when submitting the proposals:
Interested National Consultants (IC Management/Procurement Expert) must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- Duly accomplished Confirmation of Interest and Submission of Financial Proposal Template using the template provided by UNDP in the jobsite (Annex II); as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references (name, title and email address).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)