Full-Stack Software Engineer (IT-CDA-DR-2019-17-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced Software Engineer who enjoys innovative Full-stack Web Development? Take an active role in software development and service operations, joining a dynamic team using cutting edge technologies, for a large open source project used by thousands of users every day all around the world. Work at the heart of digital research publication and archival, at the largest particle physics lab in the world. CERN, take part!
You will join:
The Digital Repositories (DR) Section, in the IT Department, which is responsible for activities related to the archival of CERN’s research. In particular, you will be part of the CDS (CERN Document Server) team. CDS is CERN’s institutional repository where all research output and other related objects (articles, videos, photos, audio, etc) are archived, preserved and disseminated. CDS is an open source product and it is being developed in-house based on Invenio http://invenio-software.org/, an Open Source Digital Library Framework that was born at CERN, and it is used world-wide by many partners in order to run services like Institutional Repositories, Integrated Digital Libraries, Research Data Repositories and Multimedia Archives.
More information on the IT Department is at: http://cern.ch/it-dep.
As a Software Engineer in the CDS team, you will be involved in:
- The development of new modules and functionalities for the CERN Document Server as well as contributing to the Invenio Digital Library Framework.
- DevOps activities - the configuration, deployment and maintenance activities of the CDS service.
- Providing support to CDS users and sharing expertise with the Invenio developer community.
- The management of code contributions following an Open Source development model.
- Possibly supervising team members on short-term contracts.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with the full-stack development of large software projects, preferably for the web, involving design and development of user interfaces, web application back-ends, front-ends and database schema management.
- Experience with user relations, user support, user training and user requirements definition.
- Experience in service deployment, configuration management and operation.
- Design of databases/repositories: experience with Database Management Systems (PostgreSQL in particular) and Object-Relational Mapping libraries (e.g. SQLAlchemy); experience with Elasticsearch and Redis is a plus.
- Knowledge of system configuration tools: knowledge of container-based technologies and platforms (e.g. Docker, OpenShift) is a plus.
- Front-end development: demonstrated experience with web UI technologies; experience with toolkits such as SASS, Twitter Bootstrap and React; knowledge of User Experience and Usability practices.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; supporting and acting in accordance with team decisions; accepting joint responsibility for team successes and shortcomings.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Good knowledge of English is required.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.04.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CDA-DR-2019-17-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further