Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information – Job Specific
UNOPS is supporting the Department of Palestinian Affairs (DPA) in Jordan to construct new housing units in need of rehabilitation, in order to improve both the housing and living conditions of the Palestinian refugees who reside in Hitteen Camp.
Hitteen camp, is one of the ten official Palestinian Camps in Jordan, located 10 km northeast of Amman in Marka city. The camp was established in 1968 over an area of 0.92 square kilometers, and it hosts more than 53,000 registered refugees.
UNOPS will be responsible for the design and construction, ensuring highest standards in design and construction, and respect of ‘state of the art’ requirements for safety and security and disability access.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme and the direct supervision of the Project Manger, the Architect Engineer is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
- Timely delivery of high quality architectural designs and documentation in compliance with all relevant design codes and standards;
- Conceive, design, plan and construct models for new or modified structures, responsible for using computer equipment to draw lay out diagrams. Coordinate and determine quantities and types of materials to be used in the constructions;
- In close consultation with the project team, lead consultations with the beneficiary Engineering Unit and other entities;
- In addition to preliminary conceptual plans, prepare detailed designs, floor plans, elevations, dimensions, sections and all installations, including heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, plumbing lay out and electrical wiring, all consistent with UNOPS design requirements and expectations;
- Undertake site visits/assessments of the project’s elements, recommended by UNOPS & DPA for constructions and rehabilitations;
- Plan and oversee all architectural aspects of construction activities, responsible for final specifications and approval of ordered materials;
- Provide full technical specifications, Bills of Quantities and instructions accompanied by “issued for construction” drawings;
- Ensure designs offer buildings which are aesthetically pleasing as well as safe, sound and functional and according to the national building codes;
- Create and maintain engineering architecture documents including end-to-end design scenarios;
- Prepare Post Design Advice (PDA) in response to queries or issues arising during the construction phase. Undertake field visits as required to ensure satisfactory resolution of problems / issues on site;
- Implement the requirements of UNOPS Quality Assurance plan and ensure all architectural designs are thoroughly documented and filed for future reference;
- Assist the PM and project team in the preparation of regular design progress reports, budgeting and forecasting as required;
- Be prepared to monitor the quantities during construction and prepare variation orders as applicable;
- Perform all other duties and tasks as requested by the PM, specifically on regarding the preparation of As-Built Drawings, Maintenance Manuals, Water and Sanitary CADD drawings, and electrical drawings.
- Delivery of full technical designs package and associated documentation in accordance with the work-plan;
- Prepare baselines and reports for works schedules and programmes, as requested by the Project Manager.
- Handling and responding to the queries raised by UNOPS Design Review Team during final review of completed design package.
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Monthly architectural report submitted monthly to the PM.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A Master’s degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in buildings design services.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering from a reputable University with additional 2 years of experience in buildings design services maybe accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- At least 5 years of experience in architectural works design and consultancy services of buildings construction for medium to large-scale construction projects in Jordan and/or the Middle East region.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher) is required.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Membership of the Jordanian Engineers Association is required.
- Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset
- Fluency in both English and Arabic is required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Specialist 8
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.