Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and reporting directly to the Deputy Project Manager, the Monitoring Engineer for the JICA VI Project is expected to support the implementation of the project activities through the provision of technical expertise and the application of best practices in the project implementation. The Monitoring Engineer, who is expected to be working in the Project Site office, will assist the Deputy Project Manager/Sr. Road Engineer to oversee implementation of contracted works in conforming to the technical specifications of UNOPS. Any situation that may require decision making which will involve changes in the designs and plan will be brought to the notice of Project Manager with details of issues encountered at site and appropriate recommendations.
Specifically, the Monitoring Engineer will be responsible for multiple construction sites and shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supporting the Project Manager to ensure the overall and timely delivery of UNOPS-JICA VI Project in Kabul Province;
- Understanding the technical specifications and scope of work of the Contractor that has been assigned to him by the Project Manager (or Senior Engineer on his behalf);
- Ensure that all construction materials (steel, cement, sand, and gravel) are sourced by the Contractor from the approved quarry sites or suppliers;
- Check contractor’s compliance to material specification for steel, cement, aggregates, etc., and provide regular reports to the Senior Road Engineer and Project Manager;
- Assist the Project Manager / Deputy Project Manager in the implementation of Quality Plans to ensure specified quality of the work is achieved;
- Develop basic bills of quantities and cost estimates, whenever asked by the Project Manager and Deputy Project Manager;
- Monitor and supervise construction work to ensure the work complies with the design and specifications;
- Collect and document site information in relation to contractor’s work including information on the contractor’s work force, weather, progress of work and any other related information;
- Check contractor’s claims and submittal for accuracy, and make recommendations to the Project Manager/Deputy Project Manager;
- Ensure the strict implementation of quality control standards and procedures on the sites and report regularly to the Project Manager/Deputy Project Manager;
- Take necessary steps to ensure timely completion of contractors’ work and control of project budget;
- Prepare project progress reports and project briefs to the Project Manager/Deputy Project Manager, and assist him in compilation of data for reporting and briefings;
- Prepare and manage project documentation systematically, especially assuring the tidiness of the contractors’ site registers;
- Assist the Project Manager in the hand-over and closing of the project;
- Hold ownership to UNOPS Asset at construction site;
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a relevant field from a recognized university;
- Professional Certificate in a relevant field and/ or a Master’s Degree will be an advantage;
B. Work Experience
- Minimum 4 years of field work experience in the field of construction preferably in the road construction with proven experience in the supervision of multiple construction sites;
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with the Government authorities and community organizations;
- Previous work experience with the United Nations/UNOPS is desirable but not a requirement;
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD and telecommunications equipment and systems;
- Knowledge of UN/UNOPS rules and regulations is an advantage;
- Fluency in both written and oral English is required;
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari is required;
D. Key Competencies
- Proven ability to implement technical guidelines and reporting;
- Good organizational skills and knowledge of methods to measure contractor’s capacity;
- Fully proficient in computer software, Ms Excel, Ms Word, Ms Project and good knowledge of Auto Cad;
- Knowledge of sources of supply, market trends, pricing, and other related matters;
- Discretion and sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve day-to-day construction issues, and understanding of change control;
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel to / stay at the project sites for the week;
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA-8
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.