Regional Director, Latin America and the Caribbean Region
Panama City (Panama)
● Do you have the experience and passion to lead a dynamic, international, rights-based organisation?
● Can you advocate for the rights of young people and women to make informed decisions about their sexual reproductive health?
● Are you a catalyst for change, action and innovation?
How You Can Make a Difference
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled.
Our strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
We are seeking a leader for the Latin American and Caribbean Region that can transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results. A leader who can drive the 2030 Agenda through innovation, co-creation and systems-thinking and who thrives working in a dynamic context. We need someone who is transparent, exceptional in how they manage resources and who commits to deliver excellence in programme results through partnering with governments, UN and bilateral agencies, civil society and the private sector.
The Regional Director (RD) drives the strategic positioning of UNFPA in the region; advocating at the highest levels for political and financial support for the ICPD. You will lead your team to ensure the quality and effectiveness of integrated technical and programme support in the region. You will ensure rapid and appropriate responses to humanitarian crises, clear accountability for the management of Regional operations and resources and strengthening of country offices and UNCTs to drive results-based delivery of programmes.
Key activities include:
• Strategic leadership, vision and direction
• Programme and human resources management and representation
• Resource mobilization and communication
• Transformational change and innovation
You will also chair the Regional Management Team and be a member of the United Nations Development group and our Executive Committee.
• Advanced university degree or equivalent (preferably PhD) in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field;
Knowledge and Experience:
• 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which 10 years in the field of population and development at the international level;
• Strong track record of leadership in development programmes;
• Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of programme specialists to achieve demonstrable results;
• Significant strategic programme management and operational experience;
• Track record in transformational change;
• Track record in building effective alliances and networks;
• Field experience essential.