Senior Web / Database Developer, Multiple positions
Background information - ICT
The UNOPS ICT Unit is part of the Finance Group within UNOPS and is responsible for architecting, designing, delivering, and managing all UNOPS ICT infrastructure and business applications. The ICT function within UNOPS is currently undergoing a transformation from being a service provider to becoming a strategic business partner. This transformation requires addressing several foundational aspects of enterprise IT as well as embedding innovation and harnessing of cutting-edge technology to deliver solutions to UNOPS that truly address business needs as well as provide greater effectiveness, efficiency and differentiation to UNOPS products and services. ICT’s place within the UNOPS Finance Group also enables the transformation by ensuring that IT decisions are made with a strategic focus on costs, benefits, and risks.
We are looking for highly skilled and motivated individuals who will help us position UNOPS ICT as a truly transformative part of UNOPS.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the supervision of the ICT Development Team Lead, the Senior Web / Database Developer will be responsible for developing high-quality, secure, scalable, and maintainable code artefacts to implement business applications for use by UNOPS business functions and personnel.
Reporting to the Development Team Lead in Copenhagen, the Senior Web/Database developer works closely with other members of the ICT team to undertake developments in order to deliver business solutions. The Senior Web/Database developer will primarily focus on:
1. Develop business applications
2. Technical review and testing
3. Knowledge management and innovation
1. Develops business applications through the production of code artefacts
- Implements web applications through the development of code artefacts by utilising:
- ASP.NET (C#) or other organisationally approved application development platforms
- SQL Server or other organisationally approved data / database platforms
- Analyses, designs, coordinates and develops detailed technical specifications and translates them into solutions
- Develops new modules / functionality within existing systems
- Develops appropriate reports within business applications or within UNOPS reporting applications in coordination with ICT Reporting and Database Developers
- Ensures optimal performance, scalability, and usability of business applications by adhering to established and evolving architectural standards developed by the Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team
- Maintains detailed technical documentation
2. Performs technical review and testing of code for business applications
- Reviews own and other team members / external developers code to ensure quality and adherence to coding standards and practices instituted within the team
- Undertakes unit and other forms of technical testing of business applications, ensuring that business applications work as intended and making sure the applications are optimized in terms of performance and usability. Suggests new approaches and/or tools that may be used to improve testing
- Performs technical testing of existing and new functionality and when upgrades / patches are applied
- Assists the Testing and Quality Assurance team in troubleshooting anomalies, understanding impacts and identifying solutions to bugs or gaps in functionality
- Adequately documents all work activities, including code specifications and test plans
3. Embeds relevant knowledge management and innovation within the ICT Development function
- Contributes ideas, concerns and suggested approaches during technical design sessions with other developers
- Contributes to the specification of web applications, ensuring high graphical and UX standards are met and brand consistency is adhered to as specified by the Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team
- Contributes through evidence-based opinions during UX design sessions with other developers and provides feedback to the Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team on established design standards
- Stays up to date with emerging technologies and where appropriate, advocates for their consideration
- Advocates for the development of new, innovative concepts that could be implemented in addition to or as a replacement for existing solutions
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology and Information Systems or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of master’s degree.
- Secondary education in combination with additional six years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a master's degree
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience with .NET, .NET Core or ASP.NET development in C#
- Good knowledge and understanding of Web Service API’s especially in regard to integration
- Good SQL skills (MS SQL Server) are required
- Knowledge of the ExtJS framework would be a distinct advantage
- Ability to get hands on and be comfortable with bespoke interfaces
- Experience with developing business applications within large and complex enterprise IT environments would be a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of Unit4 Business World/Agresso workflow and security, Forms, Report Creator Tool, and Agresso Customisation Tool (ACT) would be a distinct advantage
Full working knowledge of English is essential.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: Local ICA 9
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.