ICLA Legal Officer - Education (Nationals Only) - Benghazi
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian non-government organization that provides assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) worldwide.
1. Role and responsibilities
The Legal Officer will provide information and legal counselling and assistance to education programme targets and coordinate relevant relationships. This will encompass, in particular:
- Provision of trainings to NRC staff and relevant partners on legal and regulatory matters. Development of training materials for use in such sessions;
- Coordination of external partner relationships;
- Oversight of referrals to local legal aid organizations;
- Ensuring that partner organisations fully comply with agreed case management and client handling procedures;
- Conducting legal research and prepare written reports on legal issues related to Education activities.
Accounting for the particularities of the job location and context, the Legal Officer for Education will be responsible for:
- Literature review and stakeholder consultation on key challenges for refugees and migrants in Libya in relation to legal matters pertaining to accessing education;
- Analysis of procedures and regulations governing education and civil documentation under Libyan law;
- Meetings with international, national and governmental actors working on legal and education access issues for refugees and migrants;
- Contingent on full registration and qualification with the Libyan Bar Association, provision of counselling and advice to programme targets through outreach. Referral of cases requiring in-court work to partners and locally contracted private lawyers;
- Perform other tasks related to the position, as required.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
I. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
· Law degree;
· Valid license from the Libyan Bar Association;
· Minimum 2 years of legal practice in Libya;
· Native fluency in Arabic;
· Work proficiency and excellent drafting skills in English.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
· Extensive knowledge of Libyan legal system and practice;
· Background in housing, land and property law and/or foreigners’ legal status law and/or civil documentation law considered a strong advantage;
· Knowledge of Libyan education system is an added advantage
II. Behavioral competencies
· Education Project Coordinator/ Officers
· Ability to prioritize large workloads and meet tight deadlines
· Excellent analytical skills
· Excellent communication skills
· Ability to effectively plan to deliver results
· Good stress management skills