Various Locations (Various)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on your personal device date and time settings
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Statistics Division (ESS) develops and advocates for the implementation of methodologies and standards for data collection, validation, processing and analysis of food and agriculture statistics. In these statistical domains, it also plays a vital role in the compilation, processing and dissemination of internationally comparable data, and provides essential capacity building support to member countries. In addition, the Division disseminates many publications, working papers and statistical yearbooks, which cover agricultural and food security relevant statistics (including prices, production, trade and agri-environmental statistical data). The Statistics Division is involved in the management of a number of large scale projects, aimed at improving statistical methodologies and establish best practices for the collection, collation, processing, dissemination and use of data relevant to food security, agriculture and rural areas.
The Office of the Chief Statistician (OCS) is mandated to strengthen the coordination of FAO statistical activities and to oversee the implementation of FAO’s responsibilities in global SDG reporting. Within these general functions, OCS\:
Consultants and PSA subscribers in ESS will work under the immediate supervision of one or more Team Leaders of the Statistics Division, and the general oversight of the Director and the Deputy Director of the Division. They may be called upon to collaborate with other FAO Divisions and teams.
Consultants and PSA subscribers in OCS will work under the immediate supervision of one of the OCS Focal Points, and the general oversight of the Chief Statistician. They are required to work in close collaboration with other FAO Divisions and teams.
Consultants and PSA subscribers will work in one or more of the following statistical domains\:
Tasks and responsibilities
In one or more of the above mentioned statistical domains, Consultants and PSA subscribers will contribute to and/or take responsibility for one or more of the following tasks\:
They will perform other related duties as required.
- For PSAs\: University degree in statistics, economics, social sciences, environmental sciences, or a related and relevant field.
- For Consultants\: Advanced University degree in statistics, economics, social sciences, environmental sciences or a related and relevant field.
- 1 year of relevant experience in the above mentioned statistical areas of work and / or fields of application.
- For PSAs\: Working knowledge of one of the FAO official languages.
- For Consultants\: Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and length of knowledge and experience in performing the above mentioned tasks and responsibilities in relevant statistical fields
- PhD or equivalent degree in relevant disciplines – this may substitute for 1 year of experience
- Ability to draft quickly, clearly and concisely and to communicate effectively in English
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision
- Previous working experience with FAO and its partners in the above mentioned statistical domains and tasks
- Experience in the provision of technical assistance to countries and/or professional experience in national statistical services
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency