Thematic Coordinator (development of district plans for small and medium enterprises development and capacity building)
The “Support to Economic Development at the Local Level in the Republic of Belarus” project is focusing on development of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and enterprises aimed at addressing socially important issues (EASIs).
The objective of the project is to support economic initiative, competitiveness and innovation for inclusive development at the local level in the Republic of Belarus.
The project consists of three interrelated components:
The development of long-term strategies at the local level dealing with formulation of approaches and concrete activities aimed at increasing employment, in particular through participatory analysis of opportunities and bottlenecks for economic development in the project districts as well as identification of the existing issues and development of potential solutions and definition of roles of all stakeholders;
- Building “eco-systems” to support economic activities, including measures to improve legislative framework and build the stakeholders’ capacity with a focus on support to development of SMEs and EASIs;
- Providing access to new financial mechanisms at the local level to enable the development of SMEs and EASIs.
The project activities will contribute to the improvement of business environment and development of support infrastructure for SMEs and EASIs including access to financial resources. They will also help to build positive public attitude toward entrepreneurial initiative of citizens and socially responsible activities.
The Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Belarus is the project’s national Implementing Partner.
Objective of the assignment is to ensure effective implementation of respective activities and delivery of Output 1 (development of district plans for SMEs development (DPD SMEs) in a participatory way) and Output 2 (improvement of capacities, policy and regulatory framework to facilitate effective implementation of the DPD SMEs).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure implementation of respective activities of Output 1 (development of DPD SMEs in a participatory way) and Output 2 (improvement of capacities, policy and regulatory framework to facilitate effective implementation of the DPD SMEs);
- Ensure delivery of results in accordance with the project document, work plans and other joint agreements between the donor (European Union), national Implementing Partner (the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Belarus), and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP);
- Contribute to preparation of annual, quarterly, and detailed implementation work plans, and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the project activities;
- Monitor and supervise respective activities of Output 1 and Output 2; collect and and process the indicators of the plan tasks accomplishment, prepare analytical notes and reference materials based on the results of monitoring;
- Develop/support in development of necessary training materials and implementation guidelines for respective activities of Output 1 and Output 2;
- Initiate preparation and design of analytical and technical products, including assessments and studies;
- Communicate with partners and stakeholders at local, regional and national level. Establish network of project partners and stakeholders;
- Communicate with regional coordinators and other thematic coordinators on planning and implementation of respective activities of Output 1 and Output 2;
- Prepare timely reports on Output 1 and Output 2, including progress and annual reports, as well as any ad-hoc reports;
- Prepare Terms of Reference (ToR) for rendering the services (performing of works);
- Contribute to the selection processes of Consultants or Contractors;
- Regularly supervise, monitor and assess the work of Consultants or Contractors and delivery of assignments;
- Prepare performances and presentations;
- Contribute to organization and implementation of project activities;
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image of entrepreneurship in the country. Prepare and supervise publishing of materials on activities of Output 1 and Output 2 in mass media and on social networks;
- Contribute to the establishment and expansion of Local Public Advisory Boards on SMEs development (LPAB SMEs) at project districts;
- Contribute to collection of technical, social, and economic information necessary for development of DPD SMEs;
- Supervise the selection of basic methodology of local development at project districts;
- Facilitate preparation, design and formulation of DPD SMEs in line with the best international practices;
- Initiate and supervises collective discussion and approval of DPD SMEs in project districts.
- Organize and coordinate the development of capacity building action plans in project districts;
- Ensure formation of the portfolio of capacity building action plans into the overall program, its implementation and management.
- Contribute/assist in the development of a set of measures on capacity building of partners and project stakeholders in the field of the methodologies adaptation and the creation of institutional actors to support local economic development;
- Lead the development of training materials and organization of educational events.
- Contrubute to the organization of Consultants or Contractors work in progect districts;
- Provide consultancy (individual consultations, seminars, trainings, etc.) to partners and project stakeholders on creation of sustainable “eco-systems” for support of SMEs and EASIs;
- Undertake other actions related to the project implementation as requested by the Project Manager.
- Analytical thinking;
- Strategic planning;
- Organizational and leadership skills;
- Sharing of experience and knowledge;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Conflict management and problem solving;
- Logical thinking and creative approach to achievement of outputs;
- Oral and written communication.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Sociology, Economics, Business Administration or any other related field;
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in economic development programs;
- Work experience in supporting small and medium enterprises (SMEs) or business support institutions or related fields is an asset;
- Fluency in spoken and written Russian and English is required;
- Knowledge of Belarusian is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.