Syria - Project Manager with tasks of country representativeness
Damascus (Syria) | syrian arab republic
COOPI is active with its humanitarian action in Syria (Damascus) since August 2016 and it’s currently implementing these projects: Food Security/WASH/PSS integrated approach programme in Eastern Ghouta (ECHO-funded); PSS activities and Protection services in Eastern Aleppo (UNHCR-funded).
COOPI is looking for a Protection Project Manager (UNHCR) in Damascus office. The Protection Coordinator will be responsible to ensure that projects are implemented and are in line with the Organization’s mission and donors objectives regarding the activities related with protection’s issues. He/She is also responsible for building the capacity of the staff involved in the protection’s activities to ensure sustainability of the programme. A professional proven experience in international protection would be an advantage.
S/he is responsible for the project’s execution, in technical, economic/financial terms, and in terms of resources management on field, in compliance with COOPI and the donor’s procedures. S/he will have direct responsibilities at projects coordination and implementing, ensuring to reach the expected results on time, on budget, on quality, in reference to the project:“Enhanced Integrated Protection System for IDPs and Affected Population in Eastern Aleppo” (UNHCR funded). In addition, s/he will be assigned with power of attorney ad interim, with tasks of institutional representation in Damascus office, in coordination with the Head of Mission and in harmony with the other project managers and with the country administrator.
- He/she coordinates and directly monitors projects, guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards.
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested by the donor and by the central headquarters. He/she ensures the transmission of all official and administrative project documents to the central headquarters.
- He/she manages, in coordination with HoM, relations with the main institutional donors for the ongoing projects under her/his responsibility and for those ones not under her/his responsibility but in case of absence of a Project Manager;
- In case of absence of HoM in the country and in coordination with her/his Line Managers, he/she represents COOPI in the country/ area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners to guarantee the quality implementation of the projects under her/his responsibility, to explore new funding opportunities and to ensure efficient coordination among main stakeholders;
- He/she also is accountable for his/her part of the organization’s reputation in country.
- He/she contribute to the elaboration, writing and documents’ preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Head of Mission, Regional Advisor, Area Manager and the headquarters support offices.
- He/she guarantees the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation in reference to the activities of his/her project of responsibility.
- He/she is responsible for the local staff management associated to the ongoing projects under her/his responsibility.
- He/she is responsible for the security of her/his own security and of local staff by following and respecting the general security rules and COOPI procedures and by ensuring local staff follow and respect the same rules and policies;
- He/she is responsible to inform his/her Line Manager in case of any security incident, risk and threat that could affect the safety of all the staff and the implementation of the project.
Economic and financial management
- He/she is responsible for the project economic result and contributes for his/her part to the country’s economic and financial result;
- He/she supervises the financial management of the project and ensures, through the administrative function, that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI’s procedures are respected;
- He/she participates to the projects/coordination budget preparation.
- He/she has on of the signatures for COOPI’s bank accounts in the country.
- He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country.
- He/she will actively participate to the Sector coordination platforms in agreement with the HoM and in the absence of HoM in the country she/he will attend to DINGO coordination meeting, in coordination with her/his Line Managers.
- Advanced degree in Social subjects or related field or equivalent work;
- Three years experience in the humanitarian field as project or programme manager or in a similar position. Demonstrated experience in protection or related field in fragile states, including IDPs, refugees and returnees context;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Problem-solving ability and ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Previous experience in similar contexts is an asset;
- Previous experience in UNHCR projects management is an asset;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; Arabic would be an advantage;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint). **