Consultant for Technical Support to Clusters in Preparation of the Full Project Proposals
home-based and throughout montenegro
The local self-government units are considered as the main facilitators of local development and one of the key beneficiaries of EU funds in Montenegro. Municipalities also play a pivotal role in the development of clusters and have been involved in activities of past cluster development projects in Montenegro, specifically EU funded Project “Enhancing the Competitiveness of Local SMEs in Montenegro through Cluster Development”, jointly implemented with UNIDO for the Ministry of Economy. Therefore, the importance of developing capacities at the local level is recognized as the driving force for “localization” of national priorities and goals.
Following the adoption of the Cluster Strategy and annual launching of the state Cluster Support Programme, further effort and support should be invested in the roll-out phase of the cluster development policy in Montenegro. This is specifically visible when it comes to everyday functioning of clusters, designing initiatives and their presentation to responsible authorities, drafting project proposals and applying for funds. Some of the newly established clusters still are highly vulnerable and tangible, and there is need for additional support and attention. Ministry of Economy and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) have been cooperating successfully for several years with the aim of improving business environment and increasing competiveness of SMEs in Montenegro. The Project „Enhancing Competitiveness of Economy in Montenegro“ that we are currently jointly implementing has yielded a number of significant results, among which the Cluster Support Programme, activities related to promoting and improving business zones situation, as well as Business Stimulating Programmes, nine of them in total, that we are promoting with success and significant media coverage, through the initiative under the title „Business Caravan – Caravan of Good Business Opportunities“.
In the scope of the assistance provided to clusters, the Ministry of Economy is supported in the preparation and implementation of the favorable and tailored Cluster Support Programme, and specifically in enhancing capacities of cluster managers in preparation of project proposals and the process of applying for funds from the Cluster Support Programme and other national and international funding facilities. Direct support – mentoring and on the job training – was offered to all interested cluster managers in order to support them in preparation and submitting of full Project Application.
Ministry of Economy has been implementing the Cluster Support Programme in Montenegro since 2012. In 2018, the total of 21 applications were submitted in response to two Public calls announced by the Ministry of Economy, out of which ten applications received support. In addition, media coverage for this initiative and promotion of the results attained through the implementation of this Programme were provided.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the assignment:
The major objective of this task is to provide support to the interested clusters, in development and submission of the full Project Application for the Cluster Support Programme 2019, as well for any other national or international call launched during the Consultants Contract.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, and in close cooperation with the Ministry of Economy, the National Consultant shall carry out the following tasks:
- Prepare detailed plan of activities for the assignment;
- In consultation with the UNDP hiring Manager, provide on-the job mentoring services to the interested clusters in development and submission of the full Project Application for the public calls announced within the Cluster Support Programme 2019, as well for any other national or international call within the given deadline;
- Deliver presentations at info-sessions, meetings and events organized within the project;
- Prepare a Final Report on all activities undertaken under this assignment.
The expected results:
Under the supervision of the UNDP hiring Manager, the National Consultant is expected to deliver the following results:
- Detailed work plan for an assignment prepared, approved by UNDP Montenegro;
- Full Project Applications for the interested clusters prepared and submitted for Cluster Support Programme 2019 and any other national or international calls;
- At least three (3) presentations conducted at info-sessions, meetings and events organized within the project;
- Final report on all activities undertaken under this assignment provided (including detailed on-the job mentoring work report), highlighting main results achieved and proposed recommendations in the area of clusters development in Montenegro.
Timing and reporting:
The National Consultant is expected to work in Montenegro and home based during the assignment duration (15 April – 31 December 2019). The National Consultant will be responsible for written regular reporting to the UNDP Project Manager for Local Governance Project, and it should contain sufficient detail and information that would allow for the appraisal of the effectiveness to date of the assignment’s activities. Timetable of activities will be agreed with the selected contractor, upon the finalisation of the procurement process.
Time duration and travel:
National Consultant will be engaged under individual contract, for total of 45 consultancy days, from 15 April – 31 December 2019. Out of total 45 consultancy days, it is planned that national consultant will spend approximately 25 consultancy days working home-based and 20 consultancy days will be spent elsewhere Montenegro, as per interest and request of the clusters in Montenegro, with two obligatory visits to clusters using the programme of state assistance. National consultant is expected to be able to travel to clusters locations during the assignment duration, pursuant to agreed plan with UNDP. The travel costs and Daily Living Subsistence Allowance costs should be included in the lump sum figure.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, preferably in finances, economics/financial management, administration, local development, whereas advanced university degree would be an asset;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience;
- Thorough understanding/knowledge of various funding schemes and application formats;
- Proven expertise and experience in the project preparation, clusters development, finance/local level area and knowledge of relevant EU practices, preferable working experience with EU funds for competitiveness;
- Proven experience in writting business plans, including the preparation of project applications and counselling services;
- Modern approach to delivery of policy/technical advice, and experience of working with SMEs and clusters;
- Management experience, preferably within the context of international organization/institutions;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops, etc.;
- Excellent IT skills, including word-processing, database applications, presentation software, etc.
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the inidividual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by March 25, 2018 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV or P11 that can be downloaded at http://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/operations/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".