The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Inspectorate General Directorate - Operations Evaluation Division, at its headquarters in Luxembourg, an:
This is a full time position at grade 7.
The term of this contract will be 4 years.
Assessment Centers for selected applicants would take place end of May / early June.
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
To ensure the implementation of evaluation activity of the EIB Group with the highest standards by leading thematic evaluations and by contributing to the elaboration and implementation of the evaluation strategy and programme.
The evaluation expert reports to the Head of EV. It is anticipated that, after a short period of time, the successful applicant will work effectively as a team leader. As such, s/he will lead various ex-post evaluation projects teams and support the Head of Division to develop and manage the EIB evaluation activities for the EIB Group. Evaluation teams may include or be composed of external consultants.
Specific post environment
A thematic evaluation aims at assessing the quality and the results of the EIB Group’s activities within the framework of relevant EU policies and the decisions of the EIB Governors. An evaluation study shall contribute to improve operational performance, accountability and transparency.
A thematic evaluation is in most cases ex-post and can take a considerable period of time (12 to 18 months), it is carried out by a team of evaluators and typically involves: the analysis of the Bank’s relevant policies and strategies; a quantitative analysis of the relevant portfolio of operations ; the in-depth evaluation of a sample of individual operations up to 25 projects (which includes field work); drawing overall conclusions and recommendations; drafting a synthesis report that summarises findings, conclusions and recommendations, leading the consultation process and ensuring dissemination.
The evaluation is carried out on the basis of criteria defined in advance and shall follow internationally-accepted standards. The responsibilities of the Operations Evaluation Division do not include ex-ante assessment or monitoring of projects.
Accountabilities of the position include:
- Carrying out thematic evaluations and leading evaluation project teams; managing consultants
- Ensuring effective teamwork and ensuring the quality of evaluation work from structuring of the evaluation to the dissemination of the synthesis report
- Ensuring that evaluations follow internationally-accepted norms in the field of evaluation, while taking full account of the specifics of the Bank
- Ensuring that all reports are impartial and of a high quality
- Contributing to elaborating and implementing the strategy and the programme for the evaluation activity in the EIB Group
- Contributing to other EV activities as appropriate, such as the assessment and validation of the value-added methodology
- Developing, improving and implementing evaluation systems, processes, procedures and instruments based on best practice
Furthermore, the evaluation expert will, as required:
- Follow the Bank’s activities in the areas related to EV work and to the specific evaluations for which he/she is responsible
- Actively participate in internal Bank working groups, where EV representation is required
- Represent the Bank in external events on evaluation matters (Multilateral financial institutions, European Commission, etc.)
- University degree, preferably with studies oriented towards economics, finance or engineering
- At least 10 years professional experience in project analysis and financing
- Experience on ex-post evaluations would be an advantage
- Good knowledge of the EIB mission and activities as well as the political and operating framework
- Experience in the EIB project cycle would be an advantage
- Strong analytical capabilities combined with attention to necessary detail
- Considerable organisational and planning skills in order to manage complex tasks, and motivate, coach, work with and supervise teams
- Excellent English, both written and spoken; good command of French (*) and/or another EU languages would be an advantage
Achievement Drive: Continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they rapidly build up knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages.
We believe that diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability.
Deadline for applications: 31st March 2019
We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.