Part-time simultaneous Interpreters and Translators for: English to Tetum and vice versa (5 positions) English to Portuguese and vice versa (5 positions) Portuguese to Tetum and vice versa (5 positions)
Part-time simultaneous Interpreters and Translators for:
English to Tetum and vice versa (5 positions)
English to Portuguese and vice versa (5 positions)
Portuguese to Tetum and vice versa (5 positions)
United Nations Development Programme in Timor-Leste
PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT/SERVICES:
01 April - 31 December 2019 with possibility of extension based on funds availability and performance evaluation
COUNTRY OF ASSIGNMENT:
TYPE OF ENGAGEMENT:
Long-Term Agreement with Individuals or Firms
01 April 2019
Dili or other municipalities as when required and home-based (for translators)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Timor-Leste Country Office in Dili intends to engage individuals/firms for the positions of Interpreters/Translators on part-time basis on a Long-term Agreement.
The simultaneous Interpretation and Translation services will be provided on call basis. The selected individuals/firms will be contacted by the UNDP for an assignment in an advance time.
Deadline of application: COB 26 March 2019
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through www.tl.undp.org
For interested individuals, please fill the UN Personal History Form (P11) along with your CV as a single document.
For interested firms, please attach the Company Profile, Business Registration Certificate, Licenses if any, TIN Certificate.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Inquiries should be made through email to email@example.com
Duties and Responsibilities
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND SCOPE OF WORK
The objective is to provide high standard, accurate, consistent, and effective simultaneous interpretation in the meetings, workshops or seminars as well as written translation for UNDP Office and its Projects in Timor-Leste.
The Interpreters will be responsible for delivering the following tasks:
- Provide simultaneous interpretation service from English-Tetum-English or English-Portuguese-English or Tetum-Portuguese-Tetum
- To deliver clear information to the participants to understand from the speeches or presentations of materials.
The translators will be responsible for delivering the following tasks:
- Provide high quality translation of documents from English-Tetum-English, English-Portuguese-English, Tetum-Portuguese-Tetum and submit translation in Word documents
- Ensure translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in both soft (word) and hard copy
Services can be done remotely.
5) INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS
The Contractor will report to the UNDP designated official for each assignment.
The Contractor will submit a short report after completing each assignment. The short report should include achieved results by the end of assignment.
6) DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT, DUTY STATION AND EXPECTED PLACES OF TRAVEL
Duration: 9 months initial (01 August – 31 December 2018) with possibility of extension.
Duty Station: Dili, Timor-Leste.
7) FINANCE PROPOSAL AND PAYMENT TERMS
For Simultaneous Interpreters:
Financial proposal should state cost of services per hour.
Financial proposal should state price per word of the original document.
Payment will be made based on the cost of actual hour of service (for interpreter) and the total number of words of original document (for translator).
Payment will be processed within 30 days upon acceptance by UNDP of the quality of work and report of rendered services and submission of the invoices.
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: University degree. Professional Certification as Interpreter/Translator would be an advantage;
- Fluent in English and Portuguese or English and Tetum, both in written and spoken
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in providing simultaneous interpretation/translation
- Able to translate or interpret technical terminologies
- Ability to provide accurate, high quality interpretation even when under pressure
- Effective management skills and good coordination and
- Able to work independently
9) CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF THE BEST OFFER
Combined Scoring Method
The candidates will be evaluated based on a Combined Scoring Method, where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%. Note: Only candidates obtaining minimum 49 points or 70% of the technical criteria will be considered for financial evaluation.
University degree. Certificate in translations/interpretation
Demonstration of excellent knowledge of Interpretation/Translation of English/Portuguese/Tetum or vice versa
Demonstration of ability to liaise technical language that is specific to the content
Minimum professional experience of 3 years work experience as an Interpreter/translator; at least 2 Recommendations from Previous clients. Work experience with the UN system is advantage.
10) RECOMMENDED PRESENTATION OF OFFER
The interested candidates can submit the following documents to demonstrate their qualification for one or more positions:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability; templates are available here http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=53937
- For Individuals: Personal CV or P11 form, indicating all past experience for Interpretations/translations as well as contact details including e-mail and phone number of the candidate;
- For Firms: Company Profile, Business Registration Certificate, Licenses if any, TIN Certificate.
- Two professional references from clients on translation services completed on similar projects;
- Brief description of the best suitability of the candidate for this assignment;
- 2-3 samples of works;
- Financial proposal. Fees for regular service and urgent request should be indicated separately.
Individuals/firms may submit proposals for one or more assignments.