Communication and Media Assistant (Open to Egyptian Nationals Resident in Egypt)
UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, operational since January 2011, works towards accelerating the United Nations’ goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. UN Women supports innovative and catalytic programmes, advocacy, and technical assistance related to women’s human rights in countries throughout the world as part of the overall UN development cooperation system.
UN Women Egypt Country Office is based in Cairo, and works in the three priority areas: Leadership and Political Participation; Economic Empowerment; Ending Violence Against Women;
UN Women Egypt Country Office in Cairo seeks to hire a communications assistant responsible for supporting the communications unit in formulating and implementing advocacy strategies; inclusive of communications and visibility. The communications assistant is expected to support the communications unit in facilitating and organizing public events, press conferences and workshops, as well as developing various communications materials which include brochures, press releases, documentaries and infographics. The communications assistant will also a play an integral role in supporting the management of UN Women ECO digital platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Website). The communications assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Communications and Advocacy Analyst.
The work of the communications assistant will contribute to the development objective of raising awareness and outreach out on gender equality and women’s empowerment in Egypt.
The immediate objective of the communications assistant is to support in formulating and implementing media and advocacy strategies for the UN Women Egypt Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Assist in the implementation of UN Women Communications Strategy
- Support the development and dissemination of communication print and audiovisual materials
- Handle media monitoring process and develop regular media reports
- Provide media relations support including responding to requests as delegated and gathering input for talking points
- Draft press releases, statements and success stories in both Arabic and English
- Provide support to UN Women public campaigns and events;
- Support in managing UN Women ECO digital platforms
- Assist in developing monitoring reports to assess the performance on the digital media platforms
- Design and create social media content
- Collaborate in planning, monitoring and reporting of communication activities;
- Participate in inter-gender and communication groups;
- Assist programme units in implementing planned communications activities
- Provide administrative support to the communications unit
- Maintain library/ database of reference materials and photos
- Provide other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Knowledge of social media and communication strategies and methods;
- Good event planning skills;
- Ability to identify relevant events and stories and communicate them to a mass audience;
- Good multimedia skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Mass Communications, Political Science, Graphic Design or other related field.
- 2 Years of relevant experience in communication and media.
- Experience in the use of social media and digital platforms
- Knowledge of design software such as InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience with governmental entities and UN agencies is an asset.
- Proficient computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office tools, as well as planning, monitoring and cooperation online tools and portals
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Arabic required.