Programme Assistant (Open to Egyptian Nationals Residents in Egypt)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Egypt Country Office is implementing the Egypt component of the regional “Women’s Leadership, Empowerment, Access and Protection” LEAP project (other countries of implementation are Jordan and Iraq). In Egypt, UN Women is supporting community centers in host communities as well as the NCW Giza Center to provide vulnerable women capacity building programmes, vocational training and access to financial services, as well as, strengthening their protection through engaging different key players including women and youth CSOs, national service providers and local authorities to address issues related to all kinds of violence. This one-year programme, funded by the government of Japan, is starting from 1 April 2019 and ending on 31 March 2020.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Programme Specialist, the programme assistant contributes to the effective follow-up and coordination of UN Women project “Women’s Leadership, Empowerment, Access and Protection” (LEAP) by providing inputs to programme implementation. S/he facilitates the delivery of UN Women project field related activities by contributing to achieving results and providing advice for enhancements as necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the project team to ensure successful achievement of UN Women project’s objectives
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Specialist, the programme assistant will ensure implementation and coordination on project’s activities. Summary of key functions:
- Support in programme implementation;
- Programme Management Support;
- Administrative and Financial Management Support;
Support in programme implementation ensuring the following:
- Provide programme and administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
- Follow up with partners on the day to day implementation of the programme
- Support organization of training for the partners on programme related activities
- Support the preparation of MOUs, PCAs and LOAs
- Support in establishing and maintaining contact with different partners
Programme Management Support ensuring the following:
- Support the Programme Team in the implementation of the control mechanisms for development projects through monitoring of budget preparation and modifications;
- Prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project;
- Support the Programme Team in the financial management of Programmes;
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources;
- Provide necessary information for the audit of programmes/projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, Regional Office, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
Administrative and Financial Management Support:
- Ensure maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Take timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects registers of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Make budget check for requisitions, process POs and vouchers;
- Ensure organized filing for following audit’s and donor’s requirements.
Impact of Results: The post has an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UN Women intervention and project related activities. The assistant will support the project’s team in delivering and finalizing all the administrative and operational activities required to speed implementation and delivery that would be in line with the project’s objectives.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Field Competency: Ability to work in the field and communicate efficiently with the beneficiaries;
- Continuous Learning and knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing knowledge
- Gender Issues: Demonstrated analytical skills on issues related to gender, the economy and poverty reduction;
- Soft Skills: Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills in Arabic and English. Knowledge of any other official UN language would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences, Political Science (Economics Section), Business or Public Administration, development studies or other relevant degrees.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in project admin support and implementation. Previous experience in UN agencies and knowledge of ATLAS would be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Arabic required.