National, Programme Officer ( Women, Peace , Security and Humanitarian)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Building on over fifteen years of experience in the area of women, peace and security, including conflict prevention and resolution, peacebuilding, security sector reform and access to justice, UN Women has been working to ensure the implementation of the UN Framework on Women Peace and Security firmly based on the empowerment of women to effectively engage and benefit and of national institutions to meet their obligations.
Working with relevant partners including the Government, Civil Society Organizations, development partners and UN agencies, the UN Country Office in Mozambique seeks to translate the global strategy in the area of Governance, Peace, Security, Recovery and Humanitarian Action into effective context-specific programmes and results. Accordingly, UN Women Mozambique has supported the Government of Mozambique in developing a National Plan on Women, Peace and Security and, is expanding its efforts in contributing to its implementation. The Programme Officer will play a key role towards this objective.
Under the overall guidance of the Country Representative and a close supervision of the Programme Specialist, the National Programme Officer will lead the implementation of interventions in the area of Women, Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Effective development and implementation of programme strategies and management of assigned projects/programmes;
- Programme management in accordance with UN Women’s Programme and Operation Manual;
- Strategic partnerships with the government, donor and civil society organizations in the areas of assignment;
- Technical advisory services to the CO and partners, knowledge development and management.
- Advocacy and Resource mobilization
- Inter-agency Coordination
- Any other businesses as required by the office
Effective development and implementation of programme strategies and management of assigned portfolio
- Provide strategic support for planning, budgeting implementation and monitoring of Women, Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action Programmes, and manage financial resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations
- Contribute to the development and formulation of the programme portfolio on WPS and Humanitarian Action, translating UN Women priorities into local interventions/initiatives
- Prepare detailed annual and quarterly work-plans and ensure timely implementation of the programme activities in accordance with the work plan
- Ensure implementation of programmes/project under the assigned portfolio;
- Contributes to develop research, monitoring and evaluation (MER) plans and facilitate in effective application of RBM tools, and regular monitoring and tracking of programme results;
- Identifies programme risks and update the status of these risks developing contingency plans as necessary;
- Organize and lead monitoring of portfolio related activities and ensure implementation of resulting follow up actions
- Prepare and submit progress reports to donors in a timely manner and in line with UN Women Corporate Guidelines
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the assigned areas;
- Provide advice to the CO within the thematic area/portfolio assigned.
Provision of technical inputs, review and analysis of reports and other relevant materials on Women, Peace and Security to UN Women HQ and/or Regional Office, Governments institutions and donors..Programme management in accordance with UN Women’s Programme and Operation Manual.
- Ensure effective, timely and quality implementation of all activities under the assigned portfolio in line with the CO strategic and Annual Work Plan;
- Manage financial, administrative and human resources in accordance with UN Women’s corporate procedures;
Perform substantive and financial monitoring of assigned projects, identifying issues, proposing and implementing agreed upon mitigating strategies
- Lead evaluation of projects under the assigned portfolio.
Strategic partnerships with the government, donor and civil society organizations:Contribute to the development of partnerships and close collaborations with Government institutions, (Women´s) Civil Society Organizations, donors and other stakeholders working on relevant aspects of the programmes, to ensure strategic partnerships and strengthened coordination;
- Facilitate and coordinate strategic advocacy efforts to maximise support of the UN System, the government and civil society organisations on advancing women´s rights in line with UNSC Res 1325 and other normative commitments/frameworks on WPS and Humanitarian Action;
- Coordinate with the respective partners for programme linkages, leverage and synergy;
- Supports strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts by researching relevant documentation, and participating in donor meetings and public information events;
- Ensure effective information flow, communication and coordination with and between UN Women office and implementing partners and stakeholders of the assigned projects;
Participate in and contribute to UNDAF processes on issues related to the area of responsibility. Technical advisory services to the CO and partners and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Identify CO and partners technical needs provides or facilitates access to the necessary technical advice
Systematic documentation and drafting of knowledge inputs (contribute to knowledge products of CO) on project activities, strategies, results, lessons.
- Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues, and synthesize best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme policy goals to guide programme improvements and future strategic development planning;
- Participate in and provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Support partners and stakeholders in capacity development activities to enhance knowledge and skills in results-based management, results-based reporting and budgeting, and systematic quality assurance.
- Provide support and advisory services to Government institutions and (Women´s) Civil Society Organisations for the implementation of the National Action Plan on UNSC Res 1325 and monitor the implementation process
Communications, Advocacy and Resource mobilization
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities with key partners
- Leads development and implementation of advocacy approaches at national level on issues related to international commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment related to the assigned thematic areas;
- Identify and follow-up opportunities for resource mobilization for UN Women´s
- work on Women, Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action
- Design programme proposals within the area of responsibility for resource mobilization and contributes to CO overall related efforts
Inter-Agency Coordination Support:
- Provide support to the CO on inter-agency coordination related activities;
- Prepare substantive inputs to UNDAF related processes in the areas of responsibility
- Prepare analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women’s’ program experiences in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role.
- Participate actively and contribute UN Women´s perspectives at relevant results and working groups, conferences, workshops and meetings which advance the WPS and Humanitarian Action agenda
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrates integrity by consistently upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women
- Demonstrates professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work
- Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity
- Demonstrates the ability to work in a multi-cultural ethnic environment and maintain effective working relations with people from different national and cultural backgrounds
- Displays sensitivity and fairness in regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, and disability
Treats all people fairly without favouritism Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more thematic areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side) and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates good listening skills and responsiveness to the opinion of others
- Remains calm and in control even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external actors and to cultivate productive relationships with donors and partners
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master degree or equivalent) in Development Studies, International Relations, Gender Studies, Human Rights, Social Sciences, or a related field
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national and/or international level managing development programmes and projects
Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience working on development issues, preferably related to gender equality, violence against women, peace and security or women economic empowerment
Experience of working with Multiple partners – Government, Civil society organizations, donors, UN Agencies
Knowledge of national policy, legal and institutional frameworks related to gender equality and women’s empowerment
Knowledge and solid experience with results-based management
Good knowledge of the UN system is an asset
Written and oral proficiency in English and Portuguese is required