TRAINEESHIP IN COMMUNICATION AT THE CENTRE OF COMPETENCE ON HUMANITARIAN NEGOCIATION
Geneva (Switzerland) | icrc headquarters
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Centre of Competence on Humanitarian Negotiation (CCHN) is a common undertaking of five organizations, namely HD Centre, ICRC, MSF, UNHCR and WFP. It aims at facilitating the capture, analysis and sharing of humanitarian negotiation practices on the frontline to support the efforts of humanitarian practitioners. It intends to contribute to the creation of a "community of practice" among humanitarian negotiators across agencies and regions centered around the specificities of frontline humanitarian negotiation.
Under the supervision of the Communication Coordinator, the Communication Associate contributes to operational communication, community engagement, as well as public and digital communication.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- Assist in the organization of multi-agency field workshops, in particular the communication with current and prospective participants in close cooperation with the Event Officers and the CCHN's operational partners;
- Update the CCHN's external website and online community by creating the content, style and appearance;
- Update the required databases and current and prospective participants for the purpose of supporting communcation and reporting;
- Support the Communication Officer with the planning and the preparation of the Annual Meeting of Frontline Negotiators, a multi-agency conference of up to 300 participants.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree in communication, journalism, international relations or equivalent;
- Excellent knowledge of MS suite (Excel, Word and Powerpoint)
Professional Experience required
- Prior experience in managing external communication through digital platforms (web, blogs, podcast, skype conference, social media, etc.) is preferred;
- Prior experience in communication in an international context, an asset;
- Experience in graphic design, an asset;
- Experience in building and maintaining online communication, an asset.
Desired profile and skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills;
- Good writing and editing skills;
- An eye for detail and a creative mind;
- Ability to work in autonomously under tight deadlines;
- Fluent in English, fluency in French and other language, an asset.
Only individuals enrolled in higher education or who have recently completed their studies are eligible to be trainees/associates. For candidates to be eligible they must have a maximum of one year's professional experience after graduation (relating to the post) or two years if they have been in previous traineeships.
- Type of role: Traineeship
- Working rate: 100%
- Estimated starting date: 01.05.2019
- Location: Geneva, ICRC Headquarters
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Application deadline: 27.03.2019