Technical Advisor – Land degradation - Sri Lankan Nationals only
Kandy (Sri Lanka)
The UNDP/GEF/SGP Programme is aimed at supporting the achievement of global environmental benefits and the protection of the global environment through community and local solutions that work in harmony with local, national and global action. To that end, the objective of this project is to enable community organizations to take collective action for adaptive landscape management for socio-ecological resilience through design, implementation, and evaluation of grant projects for global environmental benefits and sustainable development in three ecologically sensitive landscapes: the Knuckles Conservation Forest and its buffer zone, the coastal region from Mannar Island to Jaffna, and the Colombo Wetlands. This will be carried out through participatory, multi-stakeholder, landscape management using the COMDEKS approach. The proposed interventions are aimed at enhancing social and ecological resilience through community-based, community-driven projects to conserve biodiversity, optimize ecosystem services, manage land (particularly agro-ecosystems) and water sustainably, and mitigate climate change. The pilots will build on experience and lessons learned from previous SGP operational phases, and lessons learned from the COMDEKS Programme, to assist community organizations in carrying out and coordinating projects in pursuit of outcomes they have identified in landscape plans and strategies. Coordinated community projects in the landscape will generate ecological, economic and social synergies that will produce greater and potentially longer-lasting global environmental benefits, as well as increased social capital and local sustainable development benefits. Multi-stakeholder groups will also take experience, lessons learned, and best practices from prior initiatives and implement a number of potential scaling up efforts during this project’s lifetime.
Overall Objective of the Consultancy
The Consultant will be on a part-time basis to provide necessary technical advisory services to all land degradation projects in the Knuckles and Mannar landscapes
Duties and Responsibilities
- Give technical advice to all land degradation projects in Knuckles and Mannar on soil conservation and wise land use, compatible agriculture practices
- Ensure that all land degradation projects in the landscapes of Knuckles and Mannar are guided towards achieving project indicators as specified in their proposal
- Advice on a monitoring mechanism/ indicator that captures the quality and resilience aspects of the eco systems/ landscapes
- Ensure project activities contribute towards the landscape approach for each landscpae
- Assist in finding co-financing partners for land degradation activities
1. Report on echnical advice given on soil conservation and reforestation
2. Report on the projects progress on achieving project indicators
3. Report on co-financing partners and collaborations to up scale
The envisaged time frame of the consultancy is 12 days per month over 1 year starting from 1st of April 2019
- High degree of expertise in the areas of land management, soil conservation, on biodiversity, Climate Change and M & E in these fields;
- Good Knowledge on indicator analysis;
- Capacity to work with multiple stakeholders across a wide range of disciplines;
- Good communication (both oral and written) and partnership building skills with multi-dimension partners, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant collected data and findings for the preparation of case studies and progress reports;
- Ability to seek and apply knowledge, information and best practices from multiple sectors.
Required Skills and Experience
- The prospective consultant should have Masters’ Degree or equivalent in the areas of development, biodiversity conservation, natural resource management or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in the development sector;
- Proven background on development and implementation of biodiversity monitoring, M & E and project management;
- Experience in working with civil society organizations and multi stakeholders using the landscape conservation approach.
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English and Sinhala
How to Apply
The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position and a brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work;
- Updated CV to include qualifications/competencies and relevant experience and contact details of 3 professional referees who can certify your competencies, professionalism, quality of writing, presentation and overall suitability to this TOR;
- Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a combination of factors including the cover letter, CV, the credential of an offer and a brief interview (optional) and the offer which gives the best value for money for the UNDP.
- Please send the Financial proposal with breakdown of the cost items separately to the following email address: email@example.com; stating the vacancy number/ position in the subject line.
1. All Inclusive Lump Sum Fee (Professional Fees): (LKR) _______________________
2. All Inclusive Lump Sum Fee (other costs as indicative below): (LKR) _______________________
3. Total Lump Sum Fee (a+b): (LKR) _______________________
Note: Payments will be based on invoices on achievement of agreed milestones i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR and certification by the UNDP. The applicant must factor in all possible costs in his/her “All Inclusive Lump Sum Fee” in the financial proposal including his/her consultancy and professional fee, daily living allowance during in-country missions to Sri Lanka (USD equivalent of LKR 15,100 per day), airfare costs (to and from the country of usual residence of the Consultant, via economy class on the most economical/direct route), any additional HR cost (as required) such as translators and field assistants, communication cost such as telephone/internet usage, printing cost, ad-hoc costs, stationery costs, and any other foreseeable costs in this exercise. No costs other than what has been indicated in the financial proposal will be paid or reimbursed to the consultant.
The UNDP will provide and cover the following costs:
For an Individual Contractor who is of 65 years of age or older, and on an assignment requiring travel, be it for the purpose of arriving at the duty station or as an integral duty required under the TOR, a full medical examination and statement of fitness to work must be provided. Such medical examination costs must be factored in to the financial proposal above. However, this is not a requirement for individuals on RLA contracts.
Payment for Services
The vendor shall receive payments in instalments from UNDP as follows:
- 30% on submission of 1
Report on technical advice given on soil conservation and reforestation
- 40% on submission of 2
Report on the projects progress on achieving project indicators
- 30% on submission of 3
Report on co-financing partners and collaborations to up scale