National Consultant- IT specialist (re-advertisement)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
As a party to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Bosnia and Herzegovina (B&H) has undertaken important steps towards understanding and addressing climate change issues. It is increasingly recognized not only by the Government and scientific community, but also by its citizens that climate change is an issue of key strategic importance. B&H has put great emphasis on climate change as one of the most significant development challenges facing the country. The importance of adaptation was clearly reflected in its Second National Communications and Climate Change Adaptation and Low Emission Development Strategy (CCA LEDs), adopted in 2013. In 2015, B&H submitted its Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC), as part of the negotiations leading to the historic Paris Agreement, which it signed in April 2016.
Authorities of Bosnia and Herzegovina and key domestic stakeholders realize the increasing threat posed to them and the development of the country by climate change and the need of adapting to it in order to avoid or minimize negative consequences. The government is motivated to support and implement the national adaptation planning (NAP) process as adaptation issues are becoming very important for the country’s further development.
The overall project’s objective is to support the Government of Bosnia and Herzegovina to advance the national adaptation planning process. Green Climate Fund (GCF) resources will be used to enable the government to integrate climate change related risks, coping strategies and opportunities into ongoing development planning and budgeting processes. The project will advance adaptation planning in B&H with a focus on most vulnerable sectors such as water management, agriculture, forestry etc., upgrading the knowledge base for adaptation, prioritizing adaptation interventions for the medium term, building institutional capacities for integrating climate change adaptation and demonstrating innovative ways of financing adaptation at the sub-national/local government level.
The information system represents the way of processing information with the aim of obtaining the knowledge that is necessary for further action.
The information system involves the interconnected and functionally linked processes of collecting, transfer, processing, using and storing data. The need to introduce an information system is reflected in the ability to cover all information flows in business system management, in accordance with the nature and tasks performed in the system. An information system is expected to provide a basis for performing different tasks and requirements that participants place in the system.
This demonstrates the need for clearly defined and efficient information technologies necessary for building and functioning of the information system.
Connecting a subsystem and parts of an information system to a unique, functional and economical entity is achieved through a database or database, where all the relevant data is required for the functioning of the business system. In the context of the fact that RHMZ RS is of particular importance to the Republic of Srpska in view of its complex organizational structure and the importance of data collecting and distributing products to the public and decision-makers, it is necessary to create a "Republic of Srpska Hydrometeorological Institute Information System Project". This project should basically define:
- Existing condition;
- Review of hardware and software that is coming through various projects;
- Analysis of the needs of each service individually;
- A proposal for technical solutions to establish effective information system with highlighted financial indicators (initial needs and annual maintenance of the system).
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant should work in close consultation with and under the guidance and supervision of the UNDP project manager (PM). Specifically, his\her responsibilities are but not limited to the following:
1. Analysis of the existing information system
- Review the state of hardware, system, application and special software, both IT and non-IT staff, the cost of functioning, the utilization of existing resources;
- Assess the quality, timeliness, adequacy of the quantity, the way of presenting the information that the existing system provides.
2. Proposal of Technical solutions:
- Based on the analysis of the current state of the equipment and equipment available at RHMZ, considering the equipment that is coming through current projects, the Project should contain a proposal to efficiently transform the existing system into a sensible and functional unit. To achieve this, it is necessary to compare which functions of the existing system will be retained, which will be modified and which ones will be newly introduced. The following should be considered: organizing data and data classes, databases, related applications, their new versions, etc .
- Based on the difference between the planned and current information system, a decision will be made on the type of change in the information system.
3. Design of the logical structure of the data bank
4. Defining the concept of technical support
- Based on the goals to be achieved by the information system, organization size, etc ... the decision on the scope and structure of computer resources, communication and peripheral equipment, system software, application and special software is made. Hardware needs to be provided by:
- High integration;
- Modular construction (the hardware system should live on a relatively small percentage of nominal equipment and that post-installation lead to improvements and extending IS's application);
- High reliability, security and availability (critical capacity should be duplicated);
- Easy maintenance.
- System software should provide:
- User Friendly environment;
- Support to other software tools;
- Efficient use of existing equipment;
- Easy maintenance.
5. Definition of personnel support model
- Systematization of departments and experts within the organization;
6. Specification of the Investment Requirements
- Estimate the investment in the following elements:
- System, application and special software;
- Business automation software;
The consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
- Analysis of the existing information system; Proposal of Technical solutions; Design of the logical structure of the data bank; Defining the concept of technical support - 12 days, by 30 May 2019, 60%;
- Definition of personnel support model; Specification of the Investment Requirements - 8 days, by 30 Jun 2019, 40%;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a fairly big team;
- Ability to operate under strict time limits;
Required Skills and Experience
- BSc Degree in IT Information Technologies, Electrical engineering or other related field or
- Secondary education – Information Technology Technician with minimum 10 years of proven relevant experience In lieu of BSc degree.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in developing databases and providing IT guidance for similar projects;
- Previous experience with UNDP is a great advantage.
- Knowledge of BHS languages;
- Proven knowledge and understanding of IT systems and technical solutions - Weight: 40%, Maximum points: 40;
- Methodology (document which contains brief explanation on approach to conduct the work) - Weight: 30%, Maximum ponts: 30;
- Proven knowledge in designing logical structure of the data banks - Weight: 30%, Maximum points:30.
- Relevant Education - max 30 points;
- Relevant professional experience - max 70 points.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Provide a methodology on approach to conduct the work;
2. Completed and signed the Offeror’s template Confirming Interest and Availability (please follow the link: https://popp.undp.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/UNDP_POPP_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY/Public/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx&action=default);
3. Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects, and email, telephone and any other contact details for references;
4. Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.