The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Meeting Programming and Documentation Service (CPAM) is responsible for meeting scheduling and programming, and for the provision of interpretation, translation, terminology and printing services.
The Senior Reviser reports to the Chief, Meeting Programming and Documentation Service.
Idiomatic and timely translations of meeting documents, publications, correspondence and other materials into Arabic.
Translation of FAO official documents for meetings and certain important publications be carried out according to the highest quality standards.
• plans, organizes, supervises and monitors the translation, revision and editing work, as well as related terminology and reference work, of the Unit; allocates work to staff, assigns staff to particular translation, revision or editing duties, determines and communicates priorities, controls quality and output, and ensures compliance with established FAO rules, house style and standards;
• supervises and evaluates the work performed by the staff of the unit and by external collaborators; provides new translators and revisers with guidance and training; organizes the testing of candidates for employment, including prospective contractual translators, and makes recommendations regarding the selection of staff;
• revises translations of highly sensitive texts and approves finished translations of an exceptionally difficult or complex character; edits or translates texts that cannot be assigned to other staff because of their urgency, confidentiality or importance;
• formulates instructions and guidelines governing the work of the unit;
• makes authoritative linguistic determinations in the target language especially in technical and subject fields where vocabulary is only emerging and semantics must be developed;
• leads and facilitates terminology research as well as the building up of terminological data bases, useful reference materials and sources for translation work;
• recommends action on personnel, budgetary and procedural matters relating to the efficient operations of the unit;
• performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University Degree in Linguistic Studies or Translation or in another FAO field such as Agriculture, Economics or Law with specialization in languages
• Ten years of relevant experience in translation/revision work
• Excellent knowledge of Arabic
• Working knowledge of English and French or Spanish
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of experience in translation/revision work
• Demonstrated ability to accurately translate highly specialized technical subjects and to analyze problems and detect flaws in translation
• Demonstrated clear expression and rapid composition in
• Extent of professional vocabulary coupled with a keen sense of semantics
• Extent and relevance of experience in the use of modern translation tools