Senior Land and Water Officer (Integrated Landscape Management)
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
- People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Land and Water Division aims at enhancing agricultural productivity by promoting comprehensive approaches to land and water resources management through improved governance, resilience, knowledge, conservation, restoration, and management practices. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agriculture, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of these resources with respect to both quality and extent. The work of the Division promotes comprehensive management and equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and maintaining ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies and programmes to support the adoption of best practices and tools in the fields of land degradation and assessment, integrated landscape management, sustainable land management, soil and water conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, irrigation and drainage, and governance of natural resources.
The post is located in FAO Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Senior Land and Water Officer reports to the Director, Land and Water Division.
Integrated landscape management, land and soil degradation assessment, sustainable land and soil management, land and soil resources planning, knowledge management.
Leading and enhancing integrated approached and collaboration on integrated land, soil and water management with FAO units and partners
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Departmental / Division Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Departmental committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
• Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
• Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
• Provides technical and policy advice to Member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
• Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
• Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Advanced university degree in natural resources management with focus on land, soil and water, agriculture or related field.
• Ten years of relevant experience in land and soil degradation, natural resources, land and soil management including at international level;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of experience in natural resources management, planning, and assessment at global, national and local levels particularly with integrated landscape approaches, and providing expert technical advice on land degradation, restoration, ecosystem services, and related areas;
• Extent and relevance of experience in leading and ensure the coherence, and effectively oversee planning and implementation, of a dynamic and multi-disciplinary programme of work, while effectively engaging with other technical units and colleagues;
• Extent and relevance of experience in results-based management with an ability to coordinate complex programmes, budgets and human resources;
• Demosntrated ability to lead large field and normative programmes and projects;
• Extent and relevance of experience in in project formulation and mobilization of extra-budgetary resources;
• Demonstrated ability in organizing and leading international meetings, seminars, workshops, and training courses
• Extent and relevance of experience in remote sensing, GIS and related database management is considered a strong asset
• Working knowledge of English is considered a strong asset